Dirty air conditioner

I recently had the wood floors in my apartment sanded and waxed. As it was a very hot week, the workers left my window unit air conditioner on while they worked. I replaced the filter that was covered with sawdust. But the mess also seeped past the filter and into the metal fins of the unit. I have tried vacuuming out the goop with a brush attachment, to limited success. Is there a better way to clean out the grill?
mark e wrote:

take it out the window and bring to car wash that will get any grease and stuff that is still in there out... if not then give it a good steam cleaning.... protest the motor (put some foil paper around the motor and electrical parts that are exposed.......
snipped-for-privacy@noname.com Jim says take it to a CAR WASH Haa Haaaaaa what a joke or joker HAAA.....yea take your stereo and tv to HA haaaa even take your kids and dog and parents haaahaaaaahaaaa moron.........

was
while
the
A car wash pressure washer is the single WORST thing you can do to any AC coil.
Thats why we DONT use high pressure to clean them, and if you dont belive it, I could tell you about this aluminium coil unit that the owner did that....made a nice clean gash in the units coil.
Also, water wont hurt a single electrical part in the unit....not at all. IF you DO get water on the electrical, blow em out with compressed air, or nitrogen and make sure they are dry...its not the water that hurts them, its the power that meets water..

Hi,
When was the last time the unit was professionally cleaned? Might be a good idea to take the unit into local shop and have them steam clean the unit out for you. This should be done every few years anyway! They will take the unit apart and clean all the area that you would have trouble accessing.
JMO.
jeff.
Good idea. The machine is 15 years old, and has NEVER been professionally serviced. That's got to be cheaper than buying new units.

was
while
the
mark e wrote in message ...

In the apartment I moved into the landlord left the A/C running during drywalling (probably mistakenly thinking the dust was going to be vented outdoors). The filter and evaporator (cooling) coil being wet turned the plaster dust (which was sucked through it) into actual plaster, caking them both up!

A vacuum won't usually do too much as the evaporator coil could be 1-2.5" thick and is likely coated right through it. Hosing the coil down may flush some of it out but disassembly of it is likely necessary to do a proper cleaning job.
Most window and wall A/C's should be professionally cleaned every 3 years or every year if you live in a high traffic area to keep them running as well as possible while using the least amount of energy. If your A/C hasn't been cleaned recently (or ever) it might be a good time to have it done. The company will thoroughly clean the evaporator as a matter of course.
Most companies offer a preseason or post-season discounts for such cleaning. Since it is nearing the end of the hot season (where I am anyway), it might be a good idea to take it to a local shop to have it done now.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=air+conditioner
=~~~~~~
YEA right , Power wash it , moron. Home interior ACs are NOT WATERPROOF idiot

Umm....actually...
Unless its submerged in water, its ok. Just dont run it till its dried out....but getting the internals wet, wont hurt a thing....
Sorry...you are wrong again.
As long as no current is applied before its allowed to dry, it will be fine...
Sure righty oh , steel motor bearings ,steel casings , steel shaft, switches, rheostats , all are good and No rust HHHA HHA wet and wetted CB bsser , dry em like a piece of cake , NOOOOOO Problem , Here we are smart, like a floodded car.. soak the Piece of shit. and we pawn it off on those hilbillys from the Carolinas , Yea we dump our stereos and elec gear in the river before its shipped to you !
I told you before, I tell you again..
You are a real fucktard...Art was right to fuck with you...
Your postings, err..ramblings, show how ignorant and plain stupid you are.
When you can afford one, go buy a clue...it might help.

We just had a flood here CB Should we send the crap to you as agreed
You moron take em wet We only take em dry
Exactly. So why not simply kill-file him rather than giving him the attention he craves?

This is Turtle.
Who are you talking to. It's wonderful to have that there Block sender thing on my Computter.
TURTLE
Ransley ruminated:

Sigh. The outside unit of a window air conditioner is exposed to the weather already, and is largely waterproof. The coil area of the inside part of a window air conditioner is always wet in operation, due to the dehumidification function. While I would not use high pressure water to clean out a window air conditioner, I have definitely used a water hose with a medium-pressure (80psi) stream of water to clean them out, with nary a problem over the years. That's why most window air conditioners slide out of their cases, so that you can clean them, doncha know?!
--
Eric Lee Green mailto: snipped-for-privacy@badtux.org

and how does the old folks in CAROLINAS register a DRY Rheostat , Dry Enclosed Moisture Proof Switch, a Dry Motor Bearing , We sell em to Carolina , Because you cant measure the water damage
A car is a car...basicly waterproof, interior ACs NOT wake up idiot
mark Ransley wrote:

i know its hard to believe but some people use soap and water to bath with, if you are afraid of soap and water dont knock it...... it works..