Direct Vent vs Power Vent? Recommended for DIY-ers?

Page 2 of 2
<snip>

This is an (almost) purely pragmatic undertaking . . . my joy and satisfaction will come from spending noticeably less to heat water and having "optimized" the investment, if you will. If I can get a rebate from Obama and it means my total installed cost is less than option "B" then it's a good thing.
So far, western Ohio isn't an arid climate yet so water conservation is rare. I have been in the home 6 years and the well has been reliable. Before I do the flow test I have some old galvanized pipe at my capacity tank to replace - it may be salted up. Right now when the washer is filling, there is literally no water anywhere else in the house (tank set at c. 60 PSIG) and one shower at a time is the max.
So only heating 2 GPM x 77 F may not be a downgrade. With the 50 gallon tank, 3 of us can take showers in quick succession and still not run out of hot water.
If I find that AO Smith around here for less than $1000 it would definitely be a contender. The concept of a tankless heater is appealing but I understand the implementation (especially in the cheaper models) may disappoint . . .
Thx JR in OH
I don't have the original post, but I thought it was a low capacity instant heater. Best of luck showering with 2 galons of water contained in the tank. I had a 12 gal WH years ago, and that made for quick showers.
So, shower daytime with sunlight coming in. Or, take a candle in the shower.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

couple of reasons for this. First, if you find yourself having to powervent, it may be cheaper to just move the tankless HWH to a spot where you can direct vent and replumb since you have the ability to sweat copper. There are two savings here: the double walled stainless vent pipe isn't cheap and the powervent tankless HWH is more expensive than the DV one. Secondly, as others have pointed out, there's no stored hot water, so if electricity goes out to the vent blower, you won't have any hot water.
HTH,
jc

OP will need gas pressure flow tests, before install, and likely a new gas ine directly from meter to install spot.
that might make a power vent heater cheaper install wise.
*That* is a good point. I was assuming (yeah, I know) that the OP was going to do the gas line work himself. That, as you said, does not address the flow test, however.
jc
<snip>

flow test must be done carefully.
adquate flow must take into consideration other loads espically a furnace running, and cant forget cold incoming winter water temperatures....
basically what works fine in mid summer may be a complete failure in mid winter.
and ransley crows how well his works, while admitting its not to code.

flow test must be done carefully.
adquate flow must take into consideration other loads espically a furnace running, and cant forget cold incoming winter water temperatures....
basically what works fine in mid summer may be a complete failure in mid winter.
and ransley crows how well his works, while admitting its not to code.
ransley crows about too much, which is why he's in my killfile. jc

Hey thankless have many downsides, with your low incoming water temperature you might need 2 tankless in series to heat enough water. Low flow may mean no hot water at all:( Plu buy a tankless with a local knowledgable dealer they are more complex and will likely need regular service, to remove hard water buildup.
standby loses of regular tanks are actually pretty low, you may not save much and the payoff may be longer than the tanklesses useful life...........
just some things to consider while spending large amount of money