Diagnose This Dishwasher Leak?

The dishwasher started leaking while running last night. It appears to only leak during certain cycles. The water comes from under the dishwasher. The water appears to be clean. Inside the dishwasher was relatively dry. It's not a case of overflowing. I wonder whether the the inlet valve is opening when it should but for some reason the pump isn't pumping, or it's not pump ing the water to where it needs to be. I turned the machine on it's side an d ran it briefly. I can't see where the water is leaking out. I think I hea r the pump running. Any ideas what might be wrong?

TIA,

-Scott

Reply to
SMcK

Have you looked while it is running? Get a bright flashlight, get down on the floor, remove the kick panel, and watch.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

only leak during certain cycles. The water comes from under the dishwasher. The water appears to be clean. Inside the dishwasher was relatively dry. I t's not a case of overflowing. I wonder whether the the inlet valve is open ing when it should but for some reason the pump isn't pumping, or it's not pumping the water to where it needs to be. I turned the machine on it's sid e and ran it briefly. I can't see where the water is leaking out. I think I hear the pump running. Any ideas what might be wrong?

I only watched briefly while it was running on its side. By kick panel, do you mean the one in front? I'll try that, though I kind of doubt I'll be ab le to see much.

Thanks. :)

Reply to
SMcK

From front under the DW while it is running. Is it digital control(most new ones) or old timer control?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The water appears to be clean. Inside the dishwasher was relatively dry. It's not a case of overflowing. I wonder whether the the inlet valve is opening when it should but for some reason the pump isn't pumping, or it's not pumping the water to where it needs to be. I turned the machine on it's side and ran it briefly. I can't see where the water is leaking out. I think I hear the pump running. Any ideas what might be wrong?

I had a DW that leaked down the door. Turned out the inside vent near the top of the door wasn't sealed well and water could splash at the vent and get inside the door and it then ran out the bottom.

It could also be the door seal itself. And sometimes it depends on where you load what dishes whether the water winds up hitting the right spot to leak out.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

my drain to the garbage disposal was blocked up with xxx and therefore backed up onto the sinktop and then the floor, recently

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

How in the world did you run the dishwasher on its side with water in it. All the door ventilation is based on water running downhill, not onto the s ide. On its side it is a miracle that the water did not get into the door and short out the electrical timer, etc.

Reply to
hrhofmann

All the door ventilation is based on water running downhill, not onto the side. On its side it is a miracle that the water did not get into the doo r and short out the electrical timer, etc.

Bingo! We have a winner here. Troll detected!

Reply to
trader_4

:

t. All the door ventilation is based on water running downhill, not onto t he side. On its side it is a miracle that the water did not get into the d oor and short out the electrical timer, etc.

Now, not a troll. I considered that attempting to run it on its side might not be a good idea, and only did it for a few seconds. I don't think it cau sed any permanent problem.

I assume this dishwasher is a timer type. Turn the dial and it spins around slowly through the cycles.

As I said, it only seems to leak when it's pumping water in (or out?). This isn't a case of leaking around the door.

Reply to
SMcK

te:

it. All the door ventilation is based on water running downhill, not onto the side. On its side it is a miracle that the water did not get into the door and short out the electrical timer, etc.

t not be a good idea, and only did it for a few seconds. I don't think it c aused any permanent problem.

nd slowly through the cycles.

is isn't a case of leaking around the door.

...PS - There was no water in it when I put it on its side.

Reply to
SMcK