Determining Crown Cutting Angle With Sloped Ceiling

I'm thinking of adding crown to a ceiling that's intentionally sloped at an as yet undetermined angle (it's not a drastic slope and might be something like 80 degrees). How can I determine what angle my compound miter saw needs to be set at and is it the bevel or miter setting that is used to determine the ceiling angle? Or if I choose to cope, perhaps it doesn't matter at all and standard angles apply....?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Jim Conway

There are charts available or you could also go this route:

James "Cubby" Culbertson

Jim,

Your saw manual should have tables with angles. The manual from my DeWalt:

There's a bunch of other info if you Google "compound miter angles". Everything from charts to tables to scientific formulas.

The one thing they all seemed to say - practice on scrap pieces.

Jim

Jim C> I'm thinking of adding crown to a ceiling that's intentionally sloped

Reply to
mjb920

Reply to
HigThorp972

Jim, Table 1 in that DeWalt document looks to have the info I needed, and which my Ridgid manual didn't. Thanks very much!

Reply to
Jim Conway