Detailed pool information

First off, I am a mechanical engineer and a DIYer. I bought a house with an in ground pool that needs a lot of work. I will fix it up myself (with whatever help I can squeeze out of my brothers-in-law ;^)) I want to learn as much as I can about pools so that I can minimize maintenance as I repair the pool. The pool had a liner that was practically destroyed. It has a concrete bottom and some of the side is concrete. The final 4 feet or so to the top is galvanized steel. The concrete has many cracks and missing chunks, and the steel is rusted in spots. I really want to do gunite or another permanent liner. I don't really want to replace a vinyl liner every 10 years. Also, I am very interested in alternatives to chlorine and other pool chemicals whenever possible. Can anyone recommend any good books or websites that I can study?
Thanks for any help!
http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm http://www.truetex.com/poolcontrol.htm