Desperate paint adherance problem

Hi all,
I have this nasty paint problem that is really getting beyond a joke...
I am applying water based emulsion to a 2rd floor room and it won't stick properly. Some parts do however. The wall is not damp and I have cleaned it and used pva to no effect. I put the second coat on today and its worse! Although the house has central heating there is no heating in this room. Could this be a problem? If I was really pushed would it be safe to apply an oil based sealer or possibly a really thick pva admixture?
ta.

You don't say what you are painting over.
Existing paint? High gloss?
PVA is a drywall primer.
Its a very old house and the walls previously had paper - but I stripped this back to the plaster. So basically there is no paint base. The plaster itself is not like modern plasterboard. I have treated the cracks with filler. The paint has not adhered to the filler either which is partic strange.
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:39:55 GMT, 3rd eye

I suggest that you paint the entire room with flat oil based paint first. That will seal all the problems and allow bonding for the acrylic paint. It works for me and I was painting for 25 years
Lee wrote:

Is the stuff you are putting on water washable? As in, water soluble even after drying? What does the label tell you to do? Prime over bare plaster? What is name of the product? Was there paint under the wallpaper? Did you wash AND rinse after removing the wallpaper? Tell us more. What temp does the label tell you is tolerable range for the product? What is temp of the room?

cause the paint to peel, if not right away, than some time down the road..
-- "Shut up and keep diggen" Jerry
like 3rd eye said not enough info , you are missin sumthun,,, mam , but i done near 2000000 yr in quality shiee in chgo an never heard that one yo got a problem mam looks like lotta graaase . scrape er off first nothin siicks to er greaase not even bugs.....er roaches.......