Defective Electric Wire

I got a metal hole in the wall where there are 4 wires. There is a red, white and black. Then there is a wire that is an error because they forgot to put the colored plastic stuff on it. When I bought this house there was no light in the bathroom. I have lived with this for 11 years but decided its time to fix this. I wont use that error wire because its defective but the other 3 are confusing. When I hook the red to the black the lights go out in the bedrooms. If I hook the red to white nothing happens and when I hooked the black to the white there were lots of sparks, my finger got burned, and the whole house went dark. I had to go in the basement and change that thing they call a fuse. There was a 30 on the old one so the guy at the dollar store told me to get a 30 bolt one. I asked him why they call it 30 bolts and he said its because it takes 30 bolts to fasten the wires and keep them from wiggling on the electric pole. That makes sense. Anyhow, I replaced that fuse. I wonder why they are called fuses? They dont look like the fuse on fireworks. But when I replaced it, the lights in the house work again, but still not the bathroom light. I bet the problem is that defective error wire and it needs to be changed. I dont know how to do that. I thought about cutting it off and putting a piece of some other color wire on the end of it, but what color should I use, and how many bolts do I need to hook them together so they dont wiggle? What should I do to fix this mess?
Margo
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You've got to be kidding !
Call an electrician - quickly.
what you have sounds like a 220v circuit with a ground wire (the one with no plastic)
Fuses were called fusible links , cause they melted (fused) under too high loads.
but burn ointment on your finger .

Quick - set the hook margo! Bob
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:48:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Bare wires are not used electrically, but as decoys for copper thieves. The colored plastic stuff (called "decopperment") is intended to hide the value of those wires.

That's why they use colors. This plan was created by high priced electricians trying to get more of your money because you're confused.

That's because you don't have enough bolts to use both red and black. Anyway, the red is only for use at Christmas.

Nothing will. You have to use a special kind of fuse called a "splatfuse". This looks like 2 regular fuses with 2 wires going between them (they are blue and yellow).

Connect the black wire to the hot water faucet and the white wire to the cold water faucet.

Fuses were invented in 1967 for use in the cold war. They're called 'fuses' because their original use was in the construction on plutonium containment vessels for H-bombs.

That's because fireworks are a Chinese invention. They do things differently.

No bolts are needed. You use a hose clamp to attach the bare wire to a pipe (preferably a gas pipe). Attach the red wire too.

BTW, If you follow any advice in this post I didn't give it.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I think you need to go back to troll school and/or buy a "basic home wiring" book so you can post a troll that is remotely believable.
TROLLING ASSHOLE!
PLONK
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
Now tell me; Is a wire a piece of metal with plastic around it or is it really a plastic straw filled with metal?
I say the chicken came first.
Did you know they construct the electrical towers using Kilo-Bolts. You don't wanna touch those.

WOW, such deep thinking is disrupting my chain of consciousness. Oh wait, it's not a chain, it's a plastic coated aviation cable......

Since this is about wire, it's obvious that Chicken wire came first.....

Correct !!!! And if you do, the wires in your head will wiggle forever after.
Wiggling wires are the worst. They disrupt sleep patterns and eventually lead to drain failure which is referred to in the industry as Drain Bamage.
Uh Oh, I better shut off this computer. I noticed the wires are wiggling in my power supply. Time for more bolts...........

Not forever. Just for the rest of your life.
Bob
Just another attempt by our third rate troll. At least it is better than some of the stuff the kids post on their days off from school.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

No I think the post is sincere and poster is sincerely an idgit.
Hey troll forget the wire buy a candle for the bath room. Muff

Your white and black are the power and the red either is switchable from a switch in the vicinity or should be capped, stowed, and ignored unless you want to hire an electrician.