dedicated dripping faucet?

Page 3 of 4
On Friday, November 29, 2013 12:43:49 AM UTC-5, mike wrote:

I see krw has made some new friends.....
On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 05:50:18 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Assholes hang together, Trader.
On Friday, November 29, 2013 12:43:49 AM UTC-5, mike wrote:

There is a lot here we don't know. For one thing, depending on the circumstances, it's not clear that just a slow drip is going to keep a pipe from freezing. When I've done this I always left a small steady stream flowing. And then you also have the problem that with some faucets, you can set the flow and then after a few minutes, the flow greatly reduces. How much water you need to flow depends on the incoming water temp, pipe size, how exposed, etc. Sometimes I've left the cabinet under the kitchen sink open to help let more warm air in there, like when turning the heat in the house down when going away for a week.
.

re: "There is a lot here we don't know."
Be careful with what you say in this thread. krw is listening intently.
When I suggested that "Bob" (remember "Bob", the OP that know one has heard from since the 25th?) is the only one who can supply the details required to actually know what the problem is, a couple of interesting things happened.
1 - I joined krw's esteemed list of Internet Idiots. 2 - krw wanted to know why I insisted that "Bob" was an idiot and a liar.
Since I couldn't find a single instance where I referred to "Bob" as anything other than "the OP" I figured krw had had a bit too much Thanksgiving cheer and was having trouble reading. Any that point I figured that responding would only enrage him more, so I just ignored him.
By implying that there is something that "Bob" hasn't told us, you might just piss off krw. Once you do, he'll be forced to start each line of his response with his trademarked "Idiot". He uses that word so often I wonder if he's created a shortcut key (Alt-i, perhaps) so he doesn't have to type it in every time.

You're wrong, of course.

Don't pretend to be some wiz-bang science kid. You can't even read.

You're full of shit, but that shouldn't be any news to you.
On Friday, November 29, 2013 6:43:04 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Inquiring minds want to know what exactly is wrong with that? As the poster correctly points out, insulation only delays heat transfer. If you have a pipe that's in an area that is constantly below freezing, it will eventually freeze even if you have 3 ft of insulation around it, unless you get some heat to it somehow.

On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 07:11:19 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

looking for a fight. Again.

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 12:28:56 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

There you have it folks. Typical krw. Makes a post falsely claiming someone is wrong. And when someone else points out that the poster is correct and krw is wrong, he hurls insults and claims I'm looking for a fight.
Mike:
"Insulating the pipe in an environment below freezing without enough heat flow from somewhere, possibly flowing water, does not prevent the pipe from freezing, eventually, no matter how much insulation you put on it. "
krw: "You're wrong, of course. "
Of course Mike is correct. krw, as is so often the case, is the one who is wrong. Add this to krw's list of embarrassments.

he's a fundie and they aren't allowed to admit they are human
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:36:10 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Oh, look! Malformed has a new friend. Well, the two of them share a lot of characteristics.

when's the last time you had a friend?
On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 11:52:48 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Unlike you lefties, I don't want liars as friends, Malformed.

don't argue with the limbaughnista...it's his way or your a lefty, that's how it is with the fundie addicts

Dilbert is not fiction.

Maybe it's in an outhouse. ;-)

I really cannot say, but I have heard that the dripping faucet thing does not work for faucets. I do not remember from where, but I do believe it was a reputable source. Take that at face value since I cannot confirm or refute the claim. However, if true, then the same could be true for a P-trap. Without true experimentation and repetitive results, how could one truly know? Old wives tales and all, ya know.
Anyway, I have also heard that stuffing a wire coat hanger, with a slight bend and rounded off tip (via pliers) stuffed down into the trap, and cut off flush with the strainer basket conducts enough heat to keep things thawed. Once again, I cannot not confirm this. Though, I do believe I heard about this a long time ago on the Bill Wattenberg (sp?) show on KGO AM. At least 6 years ago.
Nightcrawler wrote:

I do know that the dripping faucet keeps my water supply from freezing whe n it gets below 32 . But then we live <for now> in a camping trailer out in the woods ... with a little luck I'll get trusses up today on our new place .. It's clad with plywood <OSB> , will be wrapped with 30 lb felt and hav e all double glazed windows . I hate being cold .
--
Snag
Stone County
On 11/26/2013 8:08 AM, Snag wrote:

I've heard that hay bales around the skirting helps a LOT, in keeping the cold wind out from under your trailer. I should do some thing here, but suspect that hay bales won't be accepted by the management.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I skirted this place with 1" foam building insulation . Helps a lot . I also cover all the windows with clear plastic - though the biggest problem is that the aluminum windows have no thermal break in the frames , so they sweat no matter what if it's cold out . I have a 250w halogen light under there to help keep it above freezing so the holding tanks don't freeze which also makes the floor a little warmer .
--
Snag

On 11/26/2013 8:09 AM, Snag wrote:

Why not just install one of those small recirculating pumps (Watts is the mfg) that keeps your hot water at the tap. Pretty ingenious the way it works. Small valve at the point(s) farthest from the water heater which causes the hot water being pumped to that faucet to backfeed into the cold water side - creating a closed loop. Water on the cold side (throughout the pipe run) stays tepid and when you turn on the hot water, you have hot almost instantly.
I installed the system in my home because I thought it would be nice not having to stand around waiting on my heated tile bathroom floor for the hot water to reach me.
No problem here with pipes freezing due to the locations of the runs but if I did, this would surely cure it and, likely, be cheaper and more effective in the long run than wrapping the pipes with heat tape.
The pump system is <$200 and installation is a breeze. If you can swap out a faucet, you can install this.