Deck troubles/Behr

OK, i used Behr deck protectant/cedar stain on my cedar deck here in the Pacific NW. It only lasted two years and now it's peeling slowly off. So now what? Sand it all off? Strip it? What the hell is the BEST protection for my deck?

Reply to
JaKe

It only lasted two years and now it's peeling slowly off.

You might try jetting it off with a pressure sprayer, such as the cheap models Home Depot sells, since it is already loose. Be careful not to get the jet nozzle to close to the deck, or it will channel into it. The stain may not have been the problem. It could be the deck was not completely dry and finish-free (must be raw wood as base, for stains) when painted, or the wood had a high sap content. Also, Cedar may be an issue, I don't knoe. Consumer reports rated Cabots pigmented stain highly, and it has been 3 yrs since I applied it on redwood decking, and it will need redoing later this year, but 3 years is about all I can expect here on the Pacific coast near San Francisco. Nevertheless, it does not peel, it just wears thin. CU says in general, the pigmented stains last much longer than the clear protectants and translucent stains, regardless of brand, and I have found that to be true.

Reply to
Rodger

Reply to
nospambob