Dead dishwasher - $250 for control panel?

Page 1 of 3

I have a four year old Maytag Quiet Series 300 dishwasher that has stopped working. I looked at it and found the ribbon cable to the front control panel had burnt traces. A front control panel costs $250 or more, and there is no guarantee it didn't take the control module out with it. Is there any hope for this thing? I'm thinking it's time to trash it and get a new one due to the cost of replacing the control panel.

You can get a new one for like $300.

You can get a new one for like $300.
== We had to replace our OLD Kitchen Aid. We got a budget "G"enerally "E"xpectable. Now we have to wash the dishes before we put them in the dw.
JimT wrote:

Shrug. My bottom-of-the-line GE generic does fine, running it maybe twice a week. Do you leave lots of food waste on the dishes and pans you put in there? Any dishwasher, best practice is, large waste goes in trash, and if you aren't going to run the DW right away, a quick rinse in the sink under running water. But it is far from washing them twice. I do the trash-can step because I'm on septic, and don't have a garbage disposal.
--
aem sends...

LOL....see above.
It always amuses me when my DVR goes out and I have to watch commercial. How do I survive? :-)
Zootal wrote the following:

There's a Fire Hazard recall on certain Maytag dishwashers. https://repair.maytag.com/repair/dishwasher.jsp?siteCd=MT_EN_US
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Have you checked eBay?

Yah - the only I found for my model is $200 :-(
Sigh...4 years, time to throw it away and buy another.
Anyone care to recommend a good dishwasher?

Buy one with a mechanical timer, there's much less to go wrong and there is a possibility of fixing it if something does go wrong. I HATE ELECTRONIC TIMERS!!!!

Maytag used to be a good brand. We've had very good luck with Kitchen Aid. Present one is 5 years and still perfect, last one was pushing 20 years. The one before that was 15 years and we left it working in the house when we moved.

Kitchen Aid still makes a good product but they don't make dw as well as when Hobart owned the co. The last tech I talked to recommend saving the money, buy a cheap GE and replace it when it goes out. I'm not aware of any brand that works as well as the old Kitchen Aids but they would probably be out of my price range anyway.
The OP would probably do well to consult Consumer Report.

I don't believe there is more than a nickels worth of functional difference in any like-type appliances.
Everybody makes a piece of shit designed only to outlive the warranty, such as they are these days. I think I got a whopping 90 days on this last $2200 TV. <snip> === My Panasonic Viera has been going strong for over 6 years now. The picture is as good as the day I bought it. Outlasted every TV I've ever owned.

I've had well over a dozen CRT TVs. Once upon a time I kept 3 in one room, each tuned to a different news channel, and 1 in each of 3 baths.
Sold them all to buy bigger units after about 5 years, if I had to guess.
I've never had a TV fail until this antique Pioneer 50" projection started popping off in10 minutes after more than 10 years, and I've kept it going for more than 2 years by taking off the back and aiming a little fan to blow across the innards.
Something told me it was overheating...
Picture on it is still as good as I imagine I can remember it... -----
- gpsman
JimT wrote:

(bought it used). Both get heavy use, both still work perfectly. (Damn Sony quality- I can't justify buying flat-screens till these die.)
--
aem sends....

As someone who feels that Sony is the best TV, and a used Sony is the second best TV, I have to tell you that the picture on a 12 year old Trinitron is NOTHING like the picture was when it was new. At 6 years the deterioration would be noticable in a side by side comparison with a new one.
Phosphors get tired.

I think they get "toasted"!
(I've had Sony...my choice now is Samsung or Panasonic)
bob
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Actually, it's the electron guns that get tired. Years ago when I was in the TV repair business, rebuilt picture tubes were a very big business. I haven't seen a rebuilt picture tube in 20 years. It's my understanding that the only phosphors that would be replaced would be those in projector tubes because of the high output. I think there is only one picture tube rebuilding company left in The U.S. now.
TDD
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 08:16:43 -0500, The Daring Dufas

No, that is a different issue. The guns get coated, and you can get a little more life out of them by blowing that coating off with a burst of electricity to the cathodes. They call this "Picture Tube Rejuvenation. Once you do it, you are on a short schedule for replacement. Sometimes you could get as good a result by tapping on the neck of the tube to knock some of the cake off. You could actually see the crap flake off. They also used to sell something called a CRT brightner, which simply raised the voltage to the filiments. This also hastened ultimate failure. Often rejuvenation resulted in immediate failure. It's really a desperate move.
None of that will cure tired phosphors, which are simply less reactive then newer ones. The phosphors get tired and the picture quality suffers.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

The guns are factory coated, the blaster makes a fresh surface because the old surface loses efficiency. The B&W and single color tube coating of phosphors can be renewed from what I've read. The color tubes have the three different color phosphors deposited on the faceplate before it is welded to the glass bell which would make it unlikely to be an economical prospect for re-coating. I used my Sencore picture tube tester many a time to add a little life to an old set along with all the little booster gadgets that were on the market 35 years ago. I miss those wonderful electric shocks I received from the horizontal output tubes when my elbow touched an anode cap. I'm much better now. BZZZZZ!
TDD
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 23:20:22 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I explained it correctly and factually.