dead Craftsman Leaf Blower

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

I have a Craftsman leaf blower which I bought used at a flea market for $50. I think it was a factory return / rework. It was in like new condition when I bought it less than a year ago. It takes 40:1 fuel mix, so I'm not sure if this is an older model, since my Stihl chainsaw and Homelite weed trimmer both take 50:1.

Anyhow, I used it very regularly this summer and fall without incident. It had not sat long (a few weeks) when I tried to start it and it wouldn't start.

First, I replaced the spark plug- nothing.

Second, since it seemed to be delivering fuel properly, I ordered a new solid state ignition module. I replaced that and still nothing. I even got a spark tester and it is for sure getting spark (at least through the test light). The test light hooks in between the blug boot and the top of the spark plug.

The gap on both the old and new spark plug is set properly.

What has me stumped is that it will not start even with ether is sprayed in.

I have also tried starting per the owner manual instructions for starting a flooded engine, just in case.

I have drained the fuel and mixed fresh fuel, just in case. I am sure that the first batch of fuel as well as the recent batch were both mixed properly, since I use the small, pre-measured 40:1 bottles of oil and meter out exactly one gallon of gas when I mix the fuel.

I have also taken the carb apart and ran a small welding torch tip cleaner (small wire with abrasive etch in one section) into any small openings I could see. Still nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? (besides sledge hammers and dumpsters).

It's a pretty simple machine, and I hate to put too much money into it by taking to a shop.

Thanks,

David

Reply to
spamdisintegrator

Kind of cracks me up because I have one that has been thrown around for years, even kept outside on a balcony for a winter when I was in a temporary apartment when my house was being built. I throw whatever fuel mix I have around into it, never winterize it, never clean it up but the darn thing still works. The previous one I had broke the spring early on and when I repaired it the recoil starting spring did not last so I thru it away. Fixing that one was a waste of time and money. These things only cost about $100 new. Cut your losses.

Reply to
Art

Sam O'Nella

You got fuel, you got spark. Needs air, 'tho. Did you try popping off the air cleaner to see if it runs with 'er off?

Reply to
Andy Hill

Just for the heck of it squrit some motor oil in the plug hole and pull it a couple times.then put the plug back in and let me know if it starts! Bob

Reply to
bobby swift

i've seen many of those shear the flywheel key, just because you have spark doesn't mean it's at the right time. the key is part of the flywheel on those. chip

Reply to
chip

Tried that too. Same behavior w/o air cleaner.

Reply to
spamdisintegrator

How much motor oil? Does it matter what kind? I am assuming you have done this before and it worked?

Reply to
spamdisintegrator

Does it have any compression? Take out the plug, put your thumb over the plug hole, and pull the starter cord. If you don't feel pressure against your thumb, you may have a stuck compression ring. They can get carboned-up. This happened to a weed-whacker I had & I was able to take it apart, free up the ring, & re-assemble. It then started right up.

YMMV

Reply to
Mark

Just a little regular 30W motor,build compression.Will not fire without compression.You can't measure compression with your finger. Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

I'll try it. However, I think that I do have compression. I can tell a big difference if I pull the cord with the spark plug out vs. in.

Reply to
spamdisintegrator

Mine wouldn't hit at all when i cranked lt,plenty of spark,gas on the plug,put my finger over plug hole felt plenty of compression,put compression tester on it 65psi.,put a little motor oil in it ,checked it again 165-180 psi.put plug back in fired right up.Worked for me.Thanks Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

using a torch tip cleaner was a no-no. the passages in carbs are easily opened up if you use anything metal to clean. try this. try starting as you normaly would, choke it also. after 8 pulls w/ no start pull plug if it's wet obviously its dumping to much gas . whenever i flood any 2 stroke i ll take a lighter & place it as close to plug hole as possible and slowly crank engine a few times if flooded youll get a nice little flame and whooosh noise or use a compressor to dry cylinder out. i'll bet your problem is either a bad diaphram or dirt keeping the fuel inlet needle from seating.

Reply to
Playintennis5274

BOBBY!

YOU DA MAN ! ! !. Last night I put a little SAE 30 in and EUREKA, it started!

I had never heard of doing that, nor would I ever have thought of that on my own. That's a great trick to know!

THANK YOU ! ! !

Reply to
spamdisintegrator

Do a compression test with a compression gauge - tester, it sounds like it is to low to run and is just worn out. New larger -properly sized rings may fix it.

Reply to
m Ransley

David, Glad I could help.I figured it had low compression from sitting.If you run it often,it should keep running.Did you say dam i had this thing all to pieces,and all it took was a little squirt of oil to get it going!Take Care Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

Dried out piston ring? Neat trick, I'll have to remember that one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

David, Will the leaf blower start up an keep running?Thanks Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift