Dead circuit with no tripped breaker or fuse

I lost power to a circuit when a family member turned on the TV. I was vacuuming in the other end of the house, but on a different circuit (and subsequently it did not affect my vacuuming). Family member said the TV shut off by itself and won't turn back on. All outlets in the circuit are dead.

I flipped all the breakers and checked all the fuses to no avail. Assuming my breaker is OK (perhaps a bad assumption), I'm going to start looking for an open in one of the outlets.

The odd thing that is bugging me is coincidentally I was working on a different circuit the night before replacing some light fixtures/ switches. I'm figuring this is a coincidence, but I'm suspicious. I replaced a couple light fixtures, two switches and removed a 3-way circuit and replaced with a 2-way switch. Everything went smoothly and functioned (and continues to function normally). While I was doing this, the circuit that "failed" this morning was working (i.e. TV and lights were on -- I was working at night, wife was watching TV).

I don't see how anything I could have done on one circuit would affect the other. I even watched TV when I was done. No problems. But it is odd timing.

Am I on the right track?

Reply to
mk_reef

You might have a gfi outlet that tripped which feeds the other outlets downstream. Check to be sure.

Reply to
Mikepier

Probably.

My vote is for a bad outlet, likely back stabbers that came loose, assuming there is no GFI upstream.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

May be an upstream GFCI as Mikepier suggests. Due to the timing of your other work I would take a look there as well. Is it possible that one of the replaced switches had a common hot feed that is now switched?

Reply to
Eric9822

See if there is juice to the first outlet in the run. Any time you wiggle around in the wiring backstabbed stuff can come loose. That's why the electricians like to use the screws, fewer callbacks.

Reply to
beecrofter