Danish oil

Please can anybody help?

I have used natural danish oil on pine doors (3 coats) but now have decided that the doors would look beter in a darker finish (say oak colour). Does anyone know if it is possible for me to alter the colour and if so the best way to do this - ?

Thanks

Catherine

Reply to
catz1x

You will be able to darken the finish with a darker oil, but it won't soak in as much, so it's harder to predict the color. It's one of the reasons you should always do a test on some scrap wood before hitting the good stuff.

The natural Danish oil, probably won't change the final color that much, but you can never tell. Buy a pine board, use the original Danish oil finish, let it dry for a few days, then try the new, darker stuff. Only way to do it if you want to see what you'll be getting.

RicodJour

Danish oil is a poor excuse for a finish, especially 3 coats, but its too late for that...

A gel stain should go over it just fine; just give it a few days to be sure it is thoroughly dry.

Reply to
Toller