Damping Neighbor Noise

The neighbor living in the apartment above mine has removed the carpet from the floor, causing the impact noise of footsteps to resonate from my ceiling..
A) What are some ways of reducing this noise? I cannot do major renovations (such as adding a second ceiling), but "ugly" solutions would be fine (such as stapling homasote boards to the walls).
B) I don't think noise-cancelling headphones would help, so what's the best type of foam ear plugs for impact noise?
C) What is the best type of masking for home-environment noises: white noise generator or FM radio tuned to static?
Thank you.
Have you tried talking to the upstairs neighbor? Maybe s/he is planning to buy a new rug but just hasn't gotten to it. And, s/he may be totally unaware of the noise problem.
Then, maybe you could offer to buy them a new rug.
redbrickhat wrote:

redbrickhat wrote:

The only thing from your side is expensive construction. However if it is an apartment, did the renter upstairs have permission from the owner to remove the carpet? Likely that would be a violation of their lease. As suggested, before going ahead with anything, make sure the situation is not temporary.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
a: it will be much cheaper to buy the neighbor some christmas slippers. mention the footsteps when you ask for her foot size. b: noise cancelling headphones [not earplugs] with talk radio puts me to sleep. c. a 20" 3-speed window fan on the floor set at high or your favorite speed/noise. d. don't overlook buying the building; don't overlook finding a nicer/cheaper/bigger/quieter apt for your neighbor or yourself. see craigslist.
redbrickhat wrote:

Talk to the landlord. Some apartment leases require that carpeting be on the floors of apartments above others. If so, problem solved.