Damaged THHN Wire HELP

Just did a remodel and have been wiring up plugs and switches. Noticed in a couple of the receptacle boxes there are nicked THHNWires. In one case, a Neutral and in the other case a Hot. In both scenerios, it is nicked about 3" or so after it enters to box. One one case it is conduit and conceivable could be repulled. Pain though. In the other it is Romex and cannot be replaced within ripping a wall open. I could just cut it real short and pigtail with a wire nut but it makes me cry to cut them so short. I think I know the answer, but can I use heat shrink or pro grade tape and cover the nicks. BTW, bare metal is exposed in both nicks. Is there a permanent splice that is more reliable than a wirenut? I think this happened because they guy was using undersized boxes for homeruns and it is very crowded.
Michael Roback writes:

"Ideal" brand has a splicer that is a brass sleeve-and-screw clamp with a screw-on phenolic cap, the size of a large wire nut. I use these for difficult splices like solid to stranded wire. Indispensible.
Michael,
Turn off the power. Put an insulating material (silicon caulk, electrical tape et c.) on the nicks.
Dave M.

electrical
Does that meet code? Since it is in a box, it ought to, but there are so many exceptions...
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:36:34 GMT, someone wrote:

Na, leave the power on. More exciting that way.
;-)
-v.

about
conceivable
heat shrink tape is available. Warren

about
conceivable
I don't understand why non-jacketed individual conductors would be nicked unless they were pulled through a sharp pipe or box. Often jacketed conductors get nicked trimming back the jacket, but why would these? Are you sure there aren't nicks in the wire where you cannot see them? If not, and you can 'reassemble' the nicked insulation around the nick, a layer of 33 would be fine.