Damaged texture

I have a small wall -- less than 4' wide by 8' high.
A leaking shower faucet above created a sizable water-filled bubble lifting the paint (and standard California knock-down texture) off the drywall. The old paint is apparently a Behr satin finish.
The leak has been fixed and the wall has had a month to thoroughly dry out.
Since the wall panel is so small, I'm inclined to re-texture the whole thing. There's also some other minor mechanical damage on that panel so it's kind of a no-brainer to do the whole panel.
It seems to me, the section of texture/paint that bubbled will need to be completely removed. However, that will make the finish even less flat/even than it is already.
What preparations would folks suggest before attempting to retexture?
Malcolm Hoar wrote: <snip lead-in story>
What preparations would folks suggest before attempting to retexture? I replied succinctly: http://drywallschool.com /