cutting cork

I have to repair the cork backing of some built-in books shelves.

It has 2 layers each about a half-inch thick or more.

How do I cut the cork?

I'm figuring the new cork pieces can be cut with a band saw?

But what about the cork that is still glued to the wall, but is raggedy. Does anyone know a good way to cut it in place, so I can install patches? I don't think it will cut with most sharp knives, from prior efforts to cut cork. (Mice tore off about 3 inches by 10 inches, and shredded what they tore off, until they lost interest.)

Reply to
mm

You might try a mitre saw or similar tool with VERY fine teeth. Basically lay it flat on the cork surface and saw back and forth - worth a try.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Never tried it, but you might consider a rotary tool.

Reply to
Toller

cut cork with a utility knife always have and always will

Reply to
dachief123

With a sharp knife.

Probably not. Why would you even try? Use a sharp knife and a straightedge. Lay the cork down on a board or scrap of plywood (something wooden that you don't care about), lay the straightedge on top of the cork at the cut line, and slice through it.

Cork cuts just fine with sharp knives -- if you've had trouble with that in the past, then your knife wasn't anywhere nearly as sharp as you thought it was. "Sharp" in this context means razor-sharp: if you can't shave hairs off the back of your hand with it, the knife is *not* sharp enough.

Reply to
Doug Miller

NOPSAMmm2005 @bigfoot.com says...:

Doug Miller wrote:

Let me reinforce what Doug wrote, from personal experience. I had to cut some cork acoustic tiles, and saws are messy and tear at the cork no matter how fine the teeth of the blade. I haven't tried a rotary tool, but I imagine it would be the same thing. Remember, cork is soft organic, so it's going to shred easily.

But I used a fresh Xacto blade (and a friend used a fresh single-edge razor blade) and it sliced the cork beautifully.

Reply to
Kyle

A very sharp, very thin blade.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

OK I have one, but I've never used it. Maybe that is why I didn't think of it.

Reply to
mm

I'll buy that. OK, I"ll make sure I'm using a new razor blade. I have noticed that the ones that use single edged razors seem sharper than the Wiz knives and similar ones with the thick trapesoidal blade. But I guess it didn't sink in yet.

They used to sell on late-night tv tools that used actual double edged blades meant for shaving faces. I figure they were too good to be true, and that all the demonstrations in the ads were done with balsa wood. Has anyone ever used on of these?

Thanks and thanks to all who replied.

Reply to
mm

How about a carpet knife? They seem to be damned sharp! ...certainly sharper than utility knives.

Reply to
krw

Yes, that's because the single-edge razors are honed specifically to make them sharp enough to shave, i.e. razor sharp. Utility knife blades (the "thick trapezoidal" ones) don't come that sharp from the factory, but they can be made that sharp pretty easily: Google the phrase "scary sharp" for more info.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If it's sharp enough to shave with...

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'd cut it with a utility knife, but when you do so, backcut it at a slight angle, like 5 degrees, so when you mate up the edges they are very tight. Cut the patches the same way.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Since I haven't shaved in 13+ years, I wouldn't remember how sharp that is. ;-) Carpet knife blades are at least as sharp as the single-edge blades I use though (cheaper too).

Reply to
krw