Cork Flooring

Saw some cork flooring coated with polyurethane or whatever it is they put on hardwood floors. The salesperson at Home Expo said it holds up well. Any opinions would be appreciated. I'm an old lady so please don't get too technical. Pat

Reply to
Patscga

I had a cork floor in a kitchen once that was installed in 1961. When I bought the place in 1986, it still looked OK. When I moved out in 1995, it was starting to look pretty shabby, and needed replaced. Don't plan on getting over 30 years out of it. :)

It's a nice floor to work on, very springy and warm.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

We had cork tile in the house my dad built in 1958. This was stuff about

3/16" thick, 6x12" tiles, laid like any floor tile (with mastic) and we just waxed it with paste wax from time to time. It was really not very satisfactory due to severe color change where sun hit it. From a wear point of view, cork is extremely tough, and it is also resilient. If the cork you saw was varnished with poly (as opposed to having poly as a factory finish), I would not expect it to perform all that well. The cork is awfully soft to be carrying a hard polyurethane finish. I would expect cracking.

If you install it in a room where there is not a lot of direct sunlight, I imagine it will in fact be ok. I'll bet that rugs, etc. will still leave shadows on it, but they do with hardwood too.

Reply to
donald girod

Thanks for your reply. Since I'm 70 years old, I'm not going to sweat the 30 years. Pat

Reply to
Patscga

I am thinking of putting down a cork floor, and was reading the FAQs here:

They recommend applicati> Saw some cork flooring coated with polyurethane or whatever it is they put on

Reply to
William Brown