custom-building a tall water-heater shed

We have a standard 30-gallon water heater on the outside of our house, which used to have a metal enclosure around it. When we got the house restuccoed, we removed the enclosure, which twisted and bent so badly that we gave the metal to the recycling center. Now that we're ready for a new enclosure, I'm finding that none will fit. The old enclosure was 24d"x24"w, which is a standard size, but it was a whopping 91" tall because the pipes extend way up the wall before entering the house. The standard-sized enclosures are only about 60" tall. Does anyone have ideas about what to do? The plumbing supply house tells me not to build it from wood because that's not up to code (fire hazard). I'm sure that having one custom-fabricated would cost a lot. It seems like my only options are:

1) Custom-build one with sheet metal (and try to avoid lacerating my hands). 2) Build a 2-foot footing, then plop a standard-sized enclosure on top of that. 3) Drill new, lower holes through the stucco and have the pipes re-routed through those holes (and patch the old holes, which will never match the brand-new stucco). 4) Use a standard-sized enclosure and just let the pipes be exposed to the outside.
Reply to
James Toomey

A couple of thoughts; R-panel oversize at 36" but readily available and fireproof especially with a C-perlin frame, and it can all be assembled with self-tapping screws with a drill.

Hardiboard concrete siding and structural boards, that can be cut to size & again are fire proof.

Eric in North TX

Probably cheapest and easiest if the enclosure is an off the shelf item. It would look rather neat if the height extending masonry were some nce stone or brick layup. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

USe the standard enclosdure, and insulate the pipes separately.

Reply to
Goedjn