What' is involved in building a custom shed?

I've got a mid-sized hardwood deck that stands about 5 feet off the ground. I was thinking I'd like to build a decent sized shed to fit under it to store lawnmower, rakes, gardening materials, etc. Trouble is I have never built anything like it - what is involced in the process? Would I need to get it anspected and approved by the homeowner's association?

Thanks in advance,

James

Reply to
James Calivar

James,

You are going to need to do local research for your answer. Where I am located the government does care what you build if it is less than 200^2 (building codes do not apply). My homeowners association via a deed restriction forbids all detached structures and any additions or attached structures must be approved prior to construction. You need to read your restrictions or ask someone.

Building under your deck and creating a semi-leak proof roof would be a challenge in any case.

Reply to
Colbyt

A thought -- I was flipping through channels a couple of weeks back and came upon an HGTV show called "Fix It Up". They were doing a project where they had a good sized deck and the homeowner wanted to use the space beneath it for storage. So they put a vinyl drainage system under the deck, adding downspouts and gutters, and had a dry space. Kind of a neat idea IMHO. From the looks of it, the task would not be too terribly daunting at all.

Here's a link to the project information from the show:

You'd have to ask your homeowner's association about that 'un -- they all have their own rules, but I'd say probably yes.

James

Reply to
JNJ

You really don't need a shed, you need to enclose the space under the deck. As someone else mentioned, there are products that will divert runoff through the deck so the space underneath stays dry. Then you just need to close off the area with framing or what-not and add a door.

Yes, you should check with the city AND homeowners association for any restrictions.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

If it was me, I'd just build it. Since it's under the deck and small, it's really no different than one of those rubbermaid storage units.

In fact, I bet that sticking one of those under the deck would be cheaper and easier than building something custom. I'm sure it would be faster!

Reply to
Jim Sullivan

No really difficult. You need a saw, hammer, nails, maybe a few other hand tools. You need a way of keeping it from contacting the ground, such as concrete blocks.

You build a frame for the bottom and use plywood for the floor, make sides from 2 x 4's, cover it with plywood siding, make a roof and door. If you buy a How-To book at a home center, you'll see some detail on how to do it. Just modify the size to fit your space.

I have no experience with home owner's associations and do not plan to. I have no idea what a bunch of busy-bodies will expect from you. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski