Crown Molding Question

Here's one for the interior designers. Our house has polyurethaned pine wood trim and base board. We have white ceilings and colored walls. Can we have white crown molding on the ceiling and keep a varnished pine wood base board trim?
If you can look at it without cringing what would it matter what the decorators say,unless you plan to sell!

Ken Kose wrote:

Might make the pine stick out like a sore thumb. Is the pine "something special", being you don't want it the same color?. Painting trim a strong contrast to walls makes the the trim stand out more......looks good if the doors and windows are even and balanced.
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 04:53:00 -0700 (PDT), Ken Kose

You can do whatever you want, but I think the same finish for all trim looks best.
Ken Kose wrote:

Why not just do pine wood crown molding also??
The dude wrote:

The first reason that comes to my mind is cost. Paint-grade molding is cheaper than finish-grade.
Suggestion: Go buy eight-foot pieces of primed and finish-grade molding similar to what you want. Tack them up temporarily in a visible place, then stand back and look at them for a few days. When you decide which you like better, go back and buy enough for the room. You can even return the samples if you didn't damage them.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Maybe because you can't use chaulking or putty to hide bad cuts, gaps,ect. if he keeps it clear...especially if things aren't straight and square as in an older house????
On 9/14/2008 4:53 AM Ken Kose spake thus:

The answer, of course, is that you can have whatever you want: after all, it's your house.
Here's something to consider: use picture mold instead of crown mold, which is what was used in most rooms in yesteryear. Depending on the size of the room, this would be a better proportion (plus you could actually use it to hang pictures, which after all was its original function).
Available at most better lumber suppliers.
This site has good price for many products. I have used it many time. http://www.thehardwarecity.com /
--
jazz_10a