Cross Country Moving?

Page 2 of 2

On 02/20/10 04:55 am, Ed Stasiak wrote:

<snip>
When we moved from NY to Michigan 6 years ago we used a service connected to United Van Lines, I think. They parked a 48ft trailer at our place and gave us 48hrs to load it. They gave us an approximate date on which it would be delivered to our new place in Michigan, and then we had 48hrs to unload it. I think perhaps approx. $3000.
We did have to get an OK from the municipality in NY to leave the trailer on the street that long, since it wouldn't fit in our driveway.
The only problem I recall was when the moving company in Michigan called long before the 48hrs was up and said they wanted the trailer back already. We told them, "No way!" and that was that.
Perce
Ed Stasiak wrote:

If I were to move far again I would go to "Old Dominion" trucking and buy a used trailer for $1000. They have them most of the time and they are road worthy, and they do any repairs needed before selling them. get a tow truck to park it at the house, (the tow truck can drop it and pick it up again at different angles to get it where a tractor can't. Load it up and leave a center isle for things you will unload first. Have a private trucker take it to the new house, and get a tow truck again if needed to park it. When all done sell or give away the trailer, or cut off the axles and every thing underneath, set it down on blocks, and you will have one hell of a big shed. I mention "Old Dominion" trucking because they seem to be everywhere I've ever been. Other trucking companies get rid of there old trailers in a similar fashion. The best part is you can take as long as needed to unload. I'm in a very rural area and parking a tractor trailer here is no problem. I'd think that if they can leave PODS all over the place, the trailer wouldn't be much more of a problem?
Ed Stasiak wrote:

A friend of mine some years ago (before "Pods") moved by calling a trucking company which dropped off a large wooden crate at her house. She packed everything into the crate, including a piano, and nailed it shut. They picked it up and delivered it across the country, setting it into her new front yard. She said it was way cheaper than a mover at the time.
IIRC, the crate was maybe 8x8x16 feet.
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 01:55:51 -0800 (PST), Ed Stasiak

I moved from California to Tennessee in 1989. The cost was about $12,000. I also moved a car with my stuff. That included 30-day storage. I was happy--I wrote the cost off my taxes because it was a job move, and the housing costs are now a fraction of what they were in CA. My auto insurance had a 70% reduction in cost. The windshield cracked during the move but it was replaced by the moving company's insurance.
Phisherman wrote:

After seeing all these prices I feel much better, I thought I wasted thousands for my move 5 years ago. From PA to TN. The household stuff wasn't bad but I have a lot of other "stuff" I moved myself, like a 2 ton antique safe.
One time I rented a storage unit. Took longer than I thought, to find a new place. In the meantime, the cost of the storage unit was more than the value of the contents.
If you can't find a cheaper move, maybe give everything away and buy new when you get there. Or have a yard sale, and let it all go, cheap.
My guess is that a Ryder or other rental truck, and do your own driving makes sense. Keep within sight of spouse or family member, who's driving the car. Keep in contact via CB or FRS two way radio, and do your own driving.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think storage unit places live off of people like this.
Bob F wrote:

That they do. About every other month, there are ads in the paper here auctioning off the contents of abandoned storage units, when people realize their old crap isn't worth paying the ransom on. Most really don't let bidders inspect before they bid, other than maybe a peek in the door, so they go cheap. If I had a pole barn and a pickup truck, I'd be tempted to bid once in a while, but I think most of it is garage sale quality at best. Chipboard furniture, half-dead stereos, old clothes, that sort of thing. One of the storage places near here actually lets people set up storefronts in the units, and I think most of their stock comes from abandoned units they bought up. Between them and the bottom-feeder used furniture stores, an outsider is likely to get outbid just to make them go away.
(I miss living in apartments, and getting all the post-divorce dumpster diving goodies, either from couples that lived there splitting up, or people moving into a 1-bedroom with half a house full of stuff, and realizing it won't fit.)
-- aem sends...
Ed Stasiak wrote:

I'm stunned. The Pod People are moving thousands of empty pods to Michigan anyway, looks like they'd cut some slack.
On the other hand, they have to move thousands of empty pods to California also...