Crib Question

Hi,

Perhaps a bit off topic, but I figured you folks would know.

Are cribs with the drop-sides considered legal these days ?

Any thoughts on, regardingsafety, etc. ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

They are probably "legal" but not litigiously viable.

Reply to
gfretwell

I used drop sides for a few of my kids. Because that's what was sold. Nothing bad happened, but why take a chance? If you think about it drop sides have more disadvantages than advantages. Think I always hoisted the tykes over the rail anyway. Maybe the ma's who change the bedding think different though.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

They are fine unless you are a stupid parent and let the screws fall out and ignore maintenance.

Reply to
LSMFT

Not only that, but you can't legislate common sense, but you legislate out dropside cribs.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I hear you, and agree in principle, but it is a fact that even smart and vigilant new parents (especially first-timers) quickly get overwhelmed and burned out at times. With relatively motionless newborns, IIRC the main danger is SIDS, hence the current 'ban' on blankets and belly sleeping, and the padded corral so they don't get stuck in a corner. Older infants, when they start acting like chimps, can trash even a high-quality crib in short order. Once the crib starts rocking, is when moving parts get sloppy, and fingers and necks get caught in pinch points, sometimes with tragic results.

Perhaps Knaphide (sp?) or one of the other tool crib companies should start making nursery furniture? Anybody make mattresses to fit the big plastic tubs they sell at Tractor Supply? One of those on a sturdy base would probably make a safe and durable crib, with no corners to get stuck in. :^/

Reply to
aemeijers

The statement had no qualifications. You still haven't answered the request.

Reply to
krw

caught in crib rail...

Reply to