Creating a home Ethernet out of installed but unused Cat 5

It is probably 3 pair screened CAT5, this is pretty common in newer residentlial installations (for telephone).
-

I found having 3&6 together (same pair) essential for 100Mbps ethernet.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Bruno wrote:

You just need a punchdown tool and some RJ45 plugs and some wall outlets, all cat5. If phone companies wiring is standard color, then you can look on the internet and wire it up. You can use 1 pair for phone, and 2 pair for ethernet. Be sure to pay close attention to the connections. I use a finger nail clipper to snip off the wires than hang beyond the connection point. It can be tricky to get 100Mb to behave itself if you are not dilligent.
Otherwise have at it, its not that hard once you get the color scheme down. I have had no problems with mixing signals either. In my last house I had 1 pair as ISDN going up stairs, 1 pair as phone line returning downstairs, and 2 pair as ethernet 100Mb. I did burn out a network card when i miswired it, but intel was nice enough to replace it anyway :)
--
Thank you,

Thanks, dnoyeB - I learned two things: first - nail clippers may actually be useful for Cat 5 installations! (Who would have thunked?) What's next - eggbeaters :}?
Second - you can actually BURN a network card by miswiring? What particular feature of th e miswiring causes that?
Bruno wrote:

Likely just an cheapo card on their part. most electronics protects itself from external miswirings to some degree. Might have been the oscilliscope I hooked up, I don't know. I never burned another one though, so it may have just been a sensitive card.
When you are punching down the wires into the connectors, you will see small pieces of wire extended beyond the edges of the terminals. 100Mb is pretty high frequency and those can act like antennas causing problems if you don't snip them off.
You can get plugs and stuff from belkin.com I think. I also order stuff from someone called cat5cableguy.com which is very cheap. either place should sell punchdown tool for a few bucks.
Once its closed up in the wall, and you plug in the wire, tap the outlet a few times with an eggbeater for good measure :P
--
Thank you,

All ethernet interfaces are isolated from any voltage on the copper up to a couple thousand volts, either by a transformer or (ISTR) pairs of LED diodes and sensors, but the latter may have been in the 10Mb era. I can't see a cheap 100Mb optical sensor.
--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don\'t blame me. I voted for Gore.
dnoyeB wrote:

The last place you want to save a few bucks by buying mickey mouse stuff is on a network.

How do you define "Mickey Mouse" stuff? By price? Just because a vendor decides to sell at reasonable prices rather than take the full markup on the stuff doesn't mean it's any worse. By all means know what you're buying but don't equate price only to quality.
From:George snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid

George wrote:

Well it wasn't actually labeled 'cat5cableguy' on the product you know...
--
Thank you,

You might if you made a long cable, connecting one end to the ethernet card and the other to the high-voltage lines along the street (maybe thinking you could get free internet that way*).

&&&
* - An interesting tangent, I was remembering some spelling checker F-ups, where "internet" could get turned into "interment".