Craftsman Garage opener Won't close

Hi,
My craftsman garage opener does not close properly. It moves few feet, stops and then moves backward. The only way I can make it close is by pressing the remote, when it goes it into reverse press the remote again to stop the reverse motion, pressing the switch again to make it move by another feet. (I can easily close it manually).
thanks for any suggesstion,
-Sudhir

There are two force adjustments, one for down force and one for up.
Read your manual and it explains the adjustment location and procedure.
wrote in message >

Actually, this is a classic symptom of the obstacle detector lights being blocked (if the system has them) I had to clean mine off this winter due to snow/ice build up.
Harry K
This could also be caused from sunlight hitting your trip sensor (obstacle dector lights).
After checking my garage door closing pressure and making sure nothing was in the trip sensor way I noticed if I blocked the sun light hitting the sensor the door would close.
Now I have found if I hold the main gararge door close button down it overrides the trip sensors. Be careful to make sure nothing is in the way!
Also make sure nothing is triggering the safey beam. I had this drive me crazy for some time and found that the rope used to pull the garage door down would dangle across the beam and trip it.