Crack Repair In Drywall Questions

Hello:
Probably dumb questions, but have never done this kind of repair before.
Have a sizable crack in drywall making up the wall of one of our rooms. Will probably require taping of the crack, first.
Think that drywall is the correct term for it, but perhaps it should be called "plasterboard" ?
Saw at HD the fiberglass open weave tape that they apparently use for tapeings like this. Also has an adhesive on one side.
Obviously, if I just put the tape over the crack before adding the mortar compound, it will leave a sizable bump.
Questions:
a. How is this potential bump handled ?
Does one just sand down perhaps a 1/32" or so before applying the tape so that it will be hidden before applying the compound over it ?
b. The tape I saw has an adhesive backing. Is this a good feature ? Any particular type/brand to use ?
c. What is the name of the "stuff" I want to apply over the tape ? Are there different types of ? Brand suggestions ?
Heard about "Krak-Kote". Is this worth pursuing, as HD doesn't carry it, apparently ?
Any other hints on doing a job like this would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
How wide is the crack? You might be able to find a flexible filler that can handle it without tape.

1) Tape crack 2) Add drywall (mud) plaster to tape area. Let dry 3) scrape major bumps off with trowel 4) reapply mud feathering the drywall wider as you go
When I'm finished such a crack I have mud covering a 18" or more area feathered smooth with the surrounding drywall. I wouldn't even sand until almost the last coat. normally 3 or 4.