Crack repair in drywall

Page 3 of 3
FrozenNorth has brought this to us :

Oh shit, the world is coming to an end! :')

I'd like to see the framing exposed and see if all this guessing has merit. Maybe He will post a few shots with the gypsum removed?
TimR formulated on Friday :

The only way to know is by inspecting the framing. The driwall moved, so replacing the tape and joint compound won't fix the framing, if that is the problem.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You need to...
1. Remove old corner bead (probably not well fastened)
2.Put on new corner bead, fastening well
3. Tape, mud, prime paint
You also need to remove the short segment of tape (the area without corner bead), retape, mud, prime & paint it.
On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 09:21:47 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You've got more than a drywall problem - - -
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

I doubt your pot rack did that. Looks more like foundation movement to me, and if it were my house, I think I might want a structural engineer to have a look. There's a LOT more going on there than just "a crack in the drywall".
Is that a skylight shaft above? It looks like there was faulty construction building that. Hard to know not seeing the site. But it's possible you can make a permanent fix. Scrape off what's sticking up and loose. Then use fiberglass mesh tape to span the crack. Then use Durabond 90 as a first coat. It's like flexible plaster of paris. Very hard. Then finish with joint compound and sand it or sponge it.
It doesn't work as well to use normal joint compound for all layers because it has no strength. It's not much more than a chalk deposit. Spackle is similar. The newer lightweight spackle is pretty good, but it's still not made for strength. It will usually re-crack over time. The joint tape acts like rebars in concrete and won't re-crack in most situations.