Cover for fry-pan

Page 1 of 2
I need to make a cover for a fry-pan, with a glass window. I have a "universal" cover, but it doesn't work well. In fact I've been using a double layer of tin foil that works just as well.
I recently bought a set of fry-pans, moderately expensive, not the cheap stuff I usually get.
The mediums sized pan has a cover, a glass cover, but the little one I use more has nothin'. And there are few if any 8" pans for sale with covers.
I figured I'd make one out of wood and glass. Maybe I'll rout a little ledge for the glass to sit on, or I'll use some sort of molding on top. Maybe I'll also glue it on with PC-7 or JB weld .
Any reason not to use plywood? The glue won't drip into my food, will it?
What kind of glass do you think I need? I presume window glass will break, if it gets even moderately unevenly hot, or if I hit it accidentally. . I have a piece of thicker glass from a flat-bed computer scanner. And somewhere I have a much thicker piece of glass from a Royal photocopier, about 35 years old. I gather it's hard to cut old glass -- and this thick would be even harder??
How hard would it be to cut it in a circle. If necessary I can use a square, or a hexagon.
Thanks.
On 6/5/2012 2:29 AM, micky wrote:

http://www.nordicware.com/store/categories/browse/cookware-accessories-amp-lids/D8D12764-C03D-102B-9706-00137233C6B0
The best part is Nordic Ware is excellent quality and made in USA.
Thanks to everyone. More below.
On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 05:28:47 -0400, "Norm A. Brams"

Yesterday's reply. I fell asleep before I posted it.
Well I did google for pans with lids, but I guess I did something wrong, because this looks good. It's a bit bigger than my pan
If the lip is big enough it will fit, but the lip on my bigger fry-pan would not be big enough.
Thanks, and thanks everyone.

Ov3er time, it will delaminate and come apart. Between the high heat and scrubbing, it is not going to last all that long.

You need tempered glass at a minimum and it is cost prohibitive on jobs like this. The glass has to be cut first, then tempered. Better is to use a soda lime glass made for high heat.

This is yesterday's reply, made moot I think by the suggestion that I just buy a lid. I'm sure I looked for lids before, but I may have Oldtimer's Syndrome.
So a regular piece of wood.
I won't be using very high heat, and if it's still going to be fragile, I'll wipe it off rather than washing very often.

The glass will get even less hot.
On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 06:58:30 -0400, "Don Phillipson"

Like this (Amazon.com product link shortened)38896490&sr=8-1
I use one also and it works very well as long as you are not trying to trap/hold the moisture in the pan.

On 6/5/2012 2:29 AM, micky wrote:

Depending on what you doing a lid might not even be appropriate. We have a couple of different size spatter screens in the drawer for use with fry pans and they really help.
micky,
Have you looked for a pyrex lid on E-Bay? Making a lid would be very hard.
Dave M.

Get a litle pyrex lid from good-will or wherever that fits - and if you can't, find one that is too small and tuen a ring out of maple to fit it to. Don'r use glue - make little brass or stainless clips and either fit them or screw them to the maple wood.
On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 12:46:10 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The lids I can find say 8", which might well fit my 7.5" pan, but if not, your advice is next. Thanks.

I use a cookie sheet it works well..... and fits all pans

Your cookie sheets have glass windows?
On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 06:58:30 -0400, "Don Phillipson"

I have one of those. I think it is intended to keep grease splatter from getting out of the pan. But I want to retain the heat, so that fried eggs cook on the top more quickly. Right now, the bottom is done way before the top. Also, some other things would cook or warm up more if there were a lid.
Thanks.
On 6/5/2012 3:26 PM, micky wrote:

For most of my cookware I have 2 different sized lids. They work for everything I need them for. If I need more of a seal, I put aluminum foil around the edge of the lid and then put it on the pot/pan. If the pan I'm using is much smaller than the lid I put the foil on the pot/pan rather than the lid.

re: "And there are few if any 8" pans for sale with covers."
Have you heard of Google?
Try this craftily constructed search phrase:
8" frying pan with glass lid

A very good idea. I have to drop some stuff off anyhow.

You raise a good point too.

Calphalon sells frying pans with glass covers (and separate covers). Here's one:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/calphalon-unison-slide-nonstick-covered-fry-pan/?pkey ry-saute-pans

But he wants a see-thru cover so he can tell when his 3-minute egg is fryed to perfection<g>.
On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 19:48:50 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

I think it is is glass. OTOH, the price of the pan and lid is 120 to 170 dollars, so even the lid is probably too much for me.
I cleaned the pan and put it in the car, and I'm on the path to stopping at every thrift shop in town. I don't think I'll find it quickly, but otoh, I really don't want to order one and find out it doesn't fit
Thanks for all the help.
I'll try to post back when I get something.