Counter tops what material?

Page 3 of 3

Would that lead one to conclude that Corian is soft?
Steve

No.
It's not soft.
What do you have against Corian?
My cutting board is 4 years old and the scratches are invisible to the eye. I can feel them with my fingers. I guess if I spent more elbow grease with a scrub pad the scratches would disappear. I'm not worried about it.
The plastic acts like teflon, it's easy to cut on and the sharp edge of the knife sinks in just enough that the knife stays sharp. You can feel the cuts but they're hard to see.
The plastic is quite hard. It easily breaks glasses dropped on it. It will not scratch if you drag a pot or pan across it. You'd have to use something hard and sharp and press down with force and then move it.
It's also very repairable and has a lifetime guarantee that I can attest to.
I am not being paid by Corian. Not yet anyway. :)

What do I have against Corian?
Nothing.
I wouldn't use it on a kitchen counter because it scratches so easily, and not everyone uses a cutting board like they're supposed to. Other than that, it's good stuff. I prefer granite or laminates, but that's just me. I do not like Corian for anything but bathroom tops.
YMMV. And probably does.
Steve
so many want granite, cause it lasts forever and looks good.
the same folks who complain of dated kitchens..... guess what that forever granite is a fad too, something else will come along and date the kitchen.
geez i am old enough to remember before all this yuppie must have everything new............
i seriously doubt we as a nations standard of living can continue like it has in the past. heck our country is a wreck, jobs going overseas, its not sustinable and medicare and social security are going belly up
the days of new shiney everything are coming to a end
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

doesn't run out. Heck, just when I have something to look forward to. :o)
I can remember, back in the seventies???.....talk about Americans paying $4/gal. for gasoline some day. It might be the best thing that happens to us for the next 10 years. Stay home? No cruising? No mall on Saturday? No pizza delivery? No driving 50 miles on a Saturday night for teen angels to attend raves? Bring it on!

Anything. It looks good, but it is soft.
Bob M. wrote:

Honest?
S. Barker wrote:

Then either tile or natual stone (not marble). All the manufactured materials - Corian, "quartz", et al - are made with minerals in a plastic and the plastic is sensitive to heat and abrasion.
Personally, I like tile. It is relatively inexpensive, has a huge variety of selections in color, size and style; it is impervious to heat abd won't scratch from normal utensils...very durable against most anything except a hammer.
People complain that the grout becomes discolored...the solution is to use dark grout. People complain that it is hard to clean...danged if I know why. People complain that tiled surfaces are bumpy...the solution is to use tiles that are flat and without formed edges.
--

dadiOH
Reno wrote:

If best is wanted, crystal counter top!

All the B.S. aside, Formica and similar laminates will be around years from now after all the yuppie fads have met the landfill. Short of using as a chopping block, nothing much bothers it, and the $$ are best of all. My kitchen remodel will have Formica (replacing 30 YO stuff). I might even use faux granite just to impress the neighbors

Joe

All the B.S. aside, Formica and similar laminates will be around years from now after all the yuppie fads have met the landfill. Short of using as a chopping block, nothing much bothers it, and the $$ are best of all. My kitchen remodel will have Formica (replacing 30 YO stuff). I might even use faux granite just to impress the neighbors

Joe
Did the faux granite laminate, and it looks really nice. And a lot cheaper, too. Several brand names out there now beside Formica and WilsonArt.
Steve