Costco bananas don't seem to ever ripen (what's the trick)?

Page 2 of 4
sf wrote:

It's the normal amount I buy for the family. Normally I get 'em yellow at the supermarket.
In the past, the Costco bananas never ripened. I don't know why.
But, I'm learning.

Notice today, one week and one day later, just the ONE with one of the apples (unwaxed I presume) has ripened.
The rest are still green!
On 03/29/2013 09:58 AM, James Silverton wrote:

Sounds about right to me, I don't like any brown spots on my bananas, just yellow with a little green is about right for me.
Jon

I'd use a paper bag. Plastic bags tend to allow the fruit to go moldy long before paper.

Supermarkets have ripening rooms and they control how the banana reaches the selling floor. Maybe Costco does not do it well. http://www.ripeningrooms.com/home.aspx http://abullseyeview.com/infographic-target-banana-ripening-rooms/
Brooklyn1 wrote on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:52:33 -0400:
Why would a "paper" bag be any different than a plastic bag for ripening fruits?

I'm not sure, I was told (or read) to use a paper bag...like a lunch sized bag.
My guess >>>
closed bag is to increase the concentration of ethylene gas, paper bag to allow bananas to "breath". Thus preventing rot by not allowing liquid water (condensation) to accumulate.
Don't know "why" for sure but in my experience paper bags just work. YMMV
cheers Bob

Two comments...
1) Paper bag was suggested (I have never attempted to ripen fruit in a plastic bag...only paper) 2) Perhaps there is truth to "the less than 40F exposure prevents ripening" ? 3) Create additoonal condition

Wish I had that problem. I buy three at a time and they ripen very fast. My market sells Chiquitas by bulk.
I let em sit in an open wooden bowl.

I buy a bag of bananas when my grocery offers the bag O discount. 12-14 bananas for cheap. I guess they are past sell point or something. They are not bad by any means. I just have to think banana ! Still got a bunch right now that I bought last Friday, still good.
Greg

Other than my paper sack with handle sale, i never saw plastic bagged bananas.
Greg
gregz wrote:

Costco clearly plastic bags them (DelMonte)
http://www.use.com/images/s_2/22214dce6542ae589dfc_1.jpg

I see them !!!!
I bought a big paper bag of half price yellow bananas last week, been eating them, and I think they are still good. I've bought green bananas that did not last that long. I now store my bananas away from that heater vent below the counter. I switched to the cool side of the kitchen.
Greg
.....I don't know...but, I'm so old, I can't take the chance of buying green fruit.... ;-)
Jean B. wrote:

The problem was that, at Costco, all they had was green, and greener. In the past, they NEVER ripened - which is why I asked (they 'must' be ripening for someone or they'd never be able to sell 'em).
Anyway, here are the four bags of bananas, which were bought two Sunday's ago, so it has been 10 days to date.
Notice only ONE bag ripened.

So, I took the liberty of adding a few more inducements to the bags (leaving the control alone).
I suspect the control will NEVER ripen, and I'll have to throw it away - but - I'll let the banana prove me right or wrong on its own.

why not return it to Costco for a refund?
Pico Rico wrote:

The point is to figure out HOW to get them to ripen.

Me mum always put the green ones into paper bags.
On 4/3/2013 12:36 PM, Francis C. wrote:

Maybe you're not to supposed to leave them in the sealed plastic bag once taken home. Your control group seems to suggest that. The rest was interesting, with the apples and all.
--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Cheryl wrote:

Well, the funny thing is that, in the past, I've unbagged the green Costco bananas, and they never ripened. I also left them bagged, and, they never ripened.
For a long while, I just stopped buying Costco bananas.
But then, I was at Costco on the last Sunday in March, and I figured I'd buy them, and ASK YOU GUYS.
I do realize the paper bag was the suggested method, along with the ripened fruits - but I had no paper bags, and not enough bananas to do all the experiments - so I opted for the simplest ... which was to put fruits in three of the four bags.
So far, I've learned that the yellow Dole banana did almost nothing to ripen the green DelMonte bananas; and I learned that a single apple was a risk because it appears to depend on the apple.
So I juggled the apples yesterday - and threw away the yellow Dole which had turned brown all over - and am currently just waiting to see if the multiple apples will work.
I will report back in a few days...

st

Dear FC-
imo, your "juggling of the experimental conditions" as time progress is effectively muddling any results. :(
You might hit a "home run" and discover a ripening solution but at this point, I cannot say which of your experimental paths I would repeat to confirm a success.
That over ripe Dole may have been you best ripening agent. Based on the results so far, I'd give up on Costco bannanas :(
DD_BobK wrote:

UPDATE:
The untouched DelMonte Costco control set of bananas finally ripened!

Today is the 12th of April, and they were bought green on the 24th of March, which is 19 days elapsed time.
If we selected just the right (magic) apple, that time can be dropped by two thirds - otherwise - a bunch of random apples seemed to drop ripening time only by about a third.
The yellow Dole banana was nearly useless as a ripening agent (which had to be removed when it turned totally brown).
In summary, the green Costco DelMonte bananas, if left alone, will ripen in two to three weeks but will ripen in one to two weeks if we put a few apples in the bag.