Cost for stump grinding?

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
I'm cutting out my own stump, but I am curious what sort of money I am
saving by doing it myself.

I don't really want the stump ground down as then I would be left with
a hole full of chips which I know will settle after a year or two.
Places that I have seen that leave the stump in the ground, but cut
off 4-8 unches below the surface so grass will grow don't seem to
settle, for whatever reason.  This is in a moist area so I don't
anticipate problems growing grass, the actual stump is only about 18 -
20 inches in diameter, I have cut it at least 4 inches below ground
level so moisture shold be available without any problems.

Anyone paid for stump grinding separate from having the tree cut down??

Re: Cost for stump grinding?
I did.  A locust stump about that same size $85 IIRC about 20 years
ago :)

4" below ground should allow grass to grow well enough.  May be a bit
thin until the stump rots but if it is not a locust or some other rot
resistant wood, your stump should ro in  few years.

Harry K

Re: Cost for stump grinding?
On Sun, 13 May 2012 23:03:49 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

And be careful when it does.  My wife stopped in the spot we had a
stump years earlier.  Her entire leg went into the hole causing minor
injury.  Thankfully, there was someone there to help her out of the
hole.

Re: Cost for stump grinding?
Happened to me...twice in same hole on a firewood cutting expedition.
Stopped truck just right, stepped out and right leg disappeared right
up to the hip.  Then I forgot when getting back in and hour later...

Harry K

Re: Cost for stump grinding?

Will the mushrooms be edible<G>?

Friend of mine's son paid for a nice Florida vacation harvesting morel
mushrooms.

Steve

Re: Cost for stump grinding?
On Mon, 14 May 2012 14:16:05 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

If you're real lucky, you'll get some of these..... :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybin_mushroom

Re: Cost for stump grinding?

There's a species that grows wild in OR, and probably in WA, too.
Look for long ungrazed or fallow cow pastures in wet rainy areas like the
coastal ranges, in late fall.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Re: Cost for stump grinding?
On Sun, 13 May 2012 23:03:49 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

That's pretty useless information.  I've noticed that you specialize
in useless info.

Re: Cost for stump grinding?
Speaking of useless.  You got anythign worth posting that is On
Topic?  Mine was.
BTW, start keeping a log. I would like to see some examples of what
yu call useless information I post.
Harry K

Re: Cost for stump grinding?
On Tue, 15 May 2012 12:29:41 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

See the above.

Re: Cost for stump grinding?
You call answering a request useless? Outdated information THAT I TOLD
HIM IT WAS? Odd.  AGain, You got anythign usefull to contribute to the
thread?  All I see is a round brown so far.

Start keeping that list.

Harry K.

Re: Cost for stump grinding?
On Tue, 15 May 2012 20:44:13 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Ok, add the above to list.

Re: Cost for stump grinding?

$175 in Las Vegas.  Exactly same thing.

Then, we had a china berry tree that was a PITA.  One day, this alien
stopped by, and asked if I would like to have it removed.  Well, I don't
know if you ever had a china berry tree, but I said heck yes.  $175 for
that, too.  I guess work was slow.  The entertaining part was when they
threw a branch into the shredder, and the guys standing in front of the
truck got hit with the buckshot.

Got them good.

Steve

Re: Cost for stump grinding?
No, but I did have a cedar tree with a 24" trunk dropped a number of years
ago (it was growing too close to the house).  I didn't do anything for a few
years (since it's cedar, it wasn't going anywhere), but when I did I used a
pick mattock and dug a little trench around it, down to maybe 24" breaking
all the little rootlets in the process.

At that point I took a chainsaw to it and cut it into sections.  Hit a lot
of dirt with each cut, dulling the blade, which caused me to get really good
at sharpening the chainsaw with a file.

It was a lot cheaper than a gym membership.

Jon

Re: Cost for stump grinding?
I've had  the chance to remove a smallish (six inch or so) tree. Sawzall and
a lot of blades worked, for me. The blades from harbor Freight are
essentially useless.

Eventually, I was able to pull the tree with a cable puller, and the bumper
of my van.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  www.lds.org
.

At that point I took a chainsaw to it and cut it into sections.  Hit a lot
of dirt with each cut, dulling the blade, which caused me to get really good
at sharpening the chainsaw with a file.

It was a lot cheaper than a gym membership.

Jon

Re: Cost for stump grinding?
Paid a tree guy $1.50 an inch diameter for a really big soft maple
stump removal some months ago. Grinding and cleanup took better than 2
hours. Paid the $100 or so with no regrets. Rental tool was better
price wise, but time and labor intensive.

Joe

Re: Cost for stump grinding?
Around here (in New Jersey) the price to show up and grind a stump is
typically around $175.  That's with them leaving the chips etc. in place.
You can use the chips as mulch around other trees etc. in your yard if you
want and fill in the hole with dirt.  How deep they grind the stump won't
mean much to them in terms of price, so I would just have them grind it
however they do it.

If you happen to run into someone who is already grinding a stump nearby,
sometimes you can get them to also do yours while they are there for a
little less money, but probably not much less.

Re: Cost for stump grinding?
That was key to some work I had done last year.  I had half dozen stumps
up to a foot in diameter removed for an extra $50 above cost of the
overgrown junipers removed but my neighbor had a job done the same day
by the same guy and his job was bigger so it was nothing to do mine at
the low price.  They came out one day to take out the bushes and trees
and a couple of days later with the stump cutter.

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread

Site Timeline