Cost for stump grinding?

I'm cutting out my own stump, but I am curious what sort of money I am saving by doing it myself.
I don't really want the stump ground down as then I would be left with a hole full of chips which I know will settle after a year or two. Places that I have seen that leave the stump in the ground, but cut off 4-8 unches below the surface so grass will grow don't seem to settle, for whatever reason. This is in a moist area so I don't anticipate problems growing grass, the actual stump is only about 18 - 20 inches in diameter, I have cut it at least 4 inches below ground level so moisture shold be available without any problems.
Anyone paid for stump grinding separate from having the tree cut down??

I did. A locust stump about that same size $85 IIRC about 20 years ago :)
4" below ground should allow grass to grow well enough. May be a bit thin until the stump rots but if it is not a locust or some other rot resistant wood, your stump should ro in few years.
Harry K
On Sun, 13 May 2012 23:03:49 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

And be careful when it does. My wife stopped in the spot we had a stump years earlier. Her entire leg went into the hole causing minor injury. Thankfully, there was someone there to help her out of the hole.

Happened to me...twice in same hole on a firewood cutting expedition. Stopped truck just right, stepped out and right leg disappeared right up to the hip. Then I forgot when getting back in and hour later...
Harry K

Will the mushrooms be edible<G>?
Friend of mine's son paid for a nice Florida vacation harvesting morel mushrooms.
Steve
On Mon, 14 May 2012 14:16:05 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

If you're real lucky, you'll get some of these..... :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybin_mushroom

There's a species that grows wild in OR, and probably in WA, too. Look for long ungrazed or fallow cow pastures in wet rainy areas like the coastal ranges, in late fall.
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

That's pretty useless information. I've noticed that you specialize in useless info.

Speaking of useless. You got anythign worth posting that is On Topic? Mine was. BTW, start keeping a log. I would like to see some examples of what yu call useless information I post. Harry K
On Tue, 15 May 2012 12:29:41 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

See the above.

You call answering a request useless? Outdated information THAT I TOLD HIM IT WAS? Odd. AGain, You got anythign usefull to contribute to the thread? All I see is a round brown so far.
Start keeping that list.
Harry K.
On Tue, 15 May 2012 20:44:13 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Ok, add the above to list.

$175 in Las Vegas. Exactly same thing.
Then, we had a china berry tree that was a PITA. One day, this alien stopped by, and asked if I would like to have it removed. Well, I don't know if you ever had a china berry tree, but I said heck yes. $175 for that, too. I guess work was slow. The entertaining part was when they threw a branch into the shredder, and the guys standing in front of the truck got hit with the buckshot.
Got them good.
Steve

No, but I did have a cedar tree with a 24" trunk dropped a number of years ago (it was growing too close to the house). I didn't do anything for a few years (since it's cedar, it wasn't going anywhere), but when I did I used a pick mattock and dug a little trench around it, down to maybe 24" breaking all the little rootlets in the process.
At that point I took a chainsaw to it and cut it into sections. Hit a lot of dirt with each cut, dulling the blade, which caused me to get really good at sharpening the chainsaw with a file.
It was a lot cheaper than a gym membership.
Jon
I've had the chance to remove a smallish (six inch or so) tree. Sawzall and a lot of blades worked, for me. The blades from harbor Freight are essentially useless.
Eventually, I was able to pull the tree with a cable puller, and the bumper of my van.
At that point I took a chainsaw to it and cut it into sections. Hit a lot of dirt with each cut, dulling the blade, which caused me to get really good at sharpening the chainsaw with a file.
It was a lot cheaper than a gym membership.
Jon

Paid a tree guy $1.50 an inch diameter for a really big soft maple stump removal some months ago. Grinding and cleanup took better than 2 hours. Paid the $100 or so with no regrets. Rental tool was better price wise, but time and labor intensive.
Joe

Around here (in New Jersey) the price to show up and grind a stump is typically around $175. That's with them leaving the chips etc. in place. You can use the chips as mulch around other trees etc. in your yard if you want and fill in the hole with dirt. How deep they grind the stump won't mean much to them in terms of price, so I would just have them grind it however they do it.
If you happen to run into someone who is already grinding a stump nearby, sometimes you can get them to also do yours while they are there for a little less money, but probably not much less.
On 5/15/2012 3:15 PM, TomR wrote:

That was key to some work I had done last year. I had half dozen stumps up to a foot in diameter removed for an extra $50 above cost of the overgrown junipers removed but my neighbor had a job done the same day by the same guy and his job was bigger so it was nothing to do mine at the low price. They came out one day to take out the bushes and trees and a couple of days later with the stump cutter.