Corner bead and materials questions

A carpenter friend of mine just graciously helped me drywall two rooms in my basement. He is a very busy man and so I don't want to take up any more of his time than I already have. He had me purchase some materials for handling the corners:
10' tear-away L bead vinyl #VLZL - 5 each
10' X 1 1/4" metal corner bead #CBCO - 10 each
8' X " metal j-bead #M401 - 6 each
I'm pretty sure I know what the metal corner bead is used for, but what are the other materials for? (windows, etc.?)
Also, any other tips on using these materials/installing corner beads?
Thanks,
Wes
If the drywall is all hung, you do not need the j mold, you can take it back. It would have to have been used before the rock was hung. Do you have a place where the drywall butts up against something (a concrete wall, a steel column, window jambs, etc.)? L mold works in the same conditions that require j mold, but can be applied after the board is hung. If you can handle all edges with tape, corner bead, and/or caulk you won't need the L mold. It helps to make a clean, straight transition from one material to another -caulked or not
Many times it is better to have a few things to take back than to wish you had or need to go to the store to get.

The vinyl stuff is used for curves, like arches and such.