Copper plumbing - cooling with water

My plumber is putting together a new copper plumbing system and is using running water to cool down the pieces he has just soldered. Does this alter the properties of the pipe and/or fittings, or affect the performance of the plumbing system over the long term?

Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.

Reply to
Darro

no

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Can't imagine why. Most plumbers just sweat the fittings, and walk away and go do something else for a few minutes. Sounds like excess work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No, it shouldn't. And doing so the plummer is probably saving his time and your money.

Reply to
ahedge

I can't believe that sum bitch did that! Water will make that copper shrink!!!!

Reply to
Red Neckerson

You will usually get away with that but a guy who cares will just wet the pipe near the joint. Some folks will make a case for thermal shock and the difference in expansion rate between solder and copper weakening the joint. I bet you can't do it on a job where an engineer is watching.

Reply to
Greg

Oh! Heaven FORBID if a (insert insult here) engineer is watching!

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Well, just cold water, that is.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wrap engineer in three layers duct tape?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon