stinky fridge and freezer

I need to clean a unit out that had rotten turkey in it for 3 hot months. Any suggestions? We have tried charcoal. I scrubbed the heck out of it but cannot get all the nooks and crannies as it doesn't come apart all that well.

Thanks

G. Doughty KI4BBL

Reply to
G. Doughty

baking soda.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Wash with vinegar?

Reply to
ahedge

Quaternary ammonium. I buy the stuff at Fleet Farm under the name "Steramine", where it's sold (gallon jugs of 10% solution) as a dairy disinfectant concentrate. I think you can also buy it as an algicide and bacteriacide for humidifiers. The active ingredient will have a name like "benzylconium chloride" or "n-alkyl benzyl amonnium chloride", and it is an amazing deodorant with an oddly "fresh" smell. Don't get it in your eyes.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

"G. Doughty" wrote

Go to a hunting/fishing store and ask for BuckLure. Wash it down real good with that

It WILL get rid of that rotten turkey smell.......

Reply to
Red Neckerson

sounds like you might have a real fowl odor

Reply to
bumtracks

Have you plugged it back in again?

Reason I ask, when Hurricane Juan blew through town last September, power was out here for four days. Everything in the fridge/freezer went bad, city was closed down and didn't pick up trash for a few days.

My fridge really stunk, even after cleaning it out with a bleach solution and leaving big containers of baking soda in it for days. But after the power came back and I turned it back on again, things improved considerably. Keep a couple of big dishes of baking soda in there after cleaning it throughly, then turn it on for a bit and see if that improves things.

KD

Reply to
KD

Tilt fridge about 10 degrees forward, put a board under the back. Leave the doors open.

Put water into a garden sprayer, and add clorox to about 10%. Spray in, let drain out.

I can't think of anything better than that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You deserve to be taken out to Cunning Linguists heaven and left there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You might wish to use zeolite, a natural volcanic mineral which absorbs strong odours in confined spaces and would probably draw out any odours that may have migrated into the foam insulation through gaps in the inner housing. Any well-stocked hardware store should have this economical product which is sold under various brand names.

Reply to
Darro

thanks guys. Looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me. Appreciate all the help.

Reply to
G. Doughty

Reply to
Phisherman