Copper Nails

Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots getting into a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time to do this until after Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had told me that he heard if you put copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true? Also where does one get copper nails? I've never even heard of them before.

Thanks,

Brian

Reply to
brian

Its a myth. Google is your friend.

Reply to
Grandpa

Copper _sulfate_ is the predominant type of root killer for sewer and septic systems, but even it is normally not taken up in sufficient quantities to actually kill the whole tree, only the roots in the pipes/tanks, etc.

Copper nails are used for copper roofing and other places where sheet copper may be used. But, not useful for the purpose stated.

Get one of the tree root treatment products instead...

--

Reply to
dpb

If the tree is really a problem, girdle it. The only living part is the bark and the outermost cambium layer, maybe 1-1/2" deep. Remove a 6" wide band, and the tree is history.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

This is true. But, it is far more dangerous to cut down a dead tree than a live one. You would be better off just cutting it down during the winter, or hire someone to do it.

Reply to
Phisherman

How so????

--

Reply to
dpb

on 9/1/2007 1:04 PM brian said the following:

At any hardware store. They are used to nail copper pipe brackets to wood joists, studs, etc..

Reply to
willshak

Yes, it is true. Takes from 50 to 100 years sometimes though.

Roofing supply houses will carry them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Trees in populated areas are taken down piecemeal instead of one mighty "TIMBER!"

Things break at weak points rather than where you cut.

Reply to
HeyBub

So? What bearing does that have?

Doh...

OP's talking about a tree that isn't even dead yet...yet the respondent is claiming if he were to girdle it and cut it next year instead that would be far more dangerous somehow...don't see that yet.

An old crag of 50-yr, maybe if one tried climbing it, but something like that is simply stupidity...

I still don't see the concern.

Reply to
dpb

I suppose there is more than one reason. Start with:

More dead branches overhead.

Reply to
Dan Espen

So would I have to take a 6" band of bark only or a 6" band 1-1/2" deep?

Reply to
brian

"None is so blind as he who will not see."

Granted, the OP tree will be sound for a while, but decayed trees don't hold climbing spikes well. Limbs that seem sound can break off, inches further out from where they are tied off, or being cut. Essentially, the behavior of dead trees is far less predictable than live trees. Therefore, bringing a decayed tree down involves greater risks.

I chuckled, when you described something as "simply stupidity." I thought, "Now there's something he knows about!"

_______________________ "Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

And of course, there's the issue of just not getting around to it next year, or the following year, .....

Next thing you know, it's lying on the house.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

In a year or two it ain't gonna' be a bit different...

--

Reply to
dpb

Definately a case of premeditated murder. After you buy the nails. call your lawyer. I already reported you for attempted murder. If that tree dies, you go to prison. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Vav

Reply to
vavbennett

You're trying to be funny, but your post contains a kernal of truth, Why kill the tree, if it is otherwise healthy? It would likely be cheaper and/or less work to replace that section of sewer line with someting the tree can't get into. And a big healthy tree is worth 5 grand easy when it comes time to sell the house, not to mention how nice shade is in summer. Unless a tree is falling apart or endangering the house, I would price out all the alternatives before I had it removed, especially if it was so big or so close to other trees that professional help would be needed.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

theres a cheap easy solution i have been using for over 10 years.

just mix rocksalt with hot water like a 25 pound bag every 4 months, do twice in spring befor trees leaf out thats when max root growth occurs.

kills the roots doesnt harm tree, really cheap too. do before leaving house so rock salt water remains in line as long as possible.

or you can go high tech where the line is snaked and cleaned then a interior sock is placed and inflated with very hot water, it hardens the plastic sock no more roots can get into the line. but its costly.

incidently its not just trees that get into lines, even bushes can. I had some fitzer bushes the plumber claimed were in my line. didnt believe him till fixing a wall showed the roots went straight down to the line.

i installed a basement toilet and found under my floor roots everywhere, i had to use a saw and lopers to install the drain for the toilet. its hard to believe.

Reply to
hallerb

Even simple ground covers like clover or vetch can have roots that run down 4-6 feet or more. It's amazing how much of a plant can be underground.

Reply to
<josh

Damn, I&#39;d sure hate to find George W. Bush in my sewer...... (even if that is where he belongs)..... Or any of the other Bushes......

Reply to
.