cooktop cutout too large?

Replaced a 30 year old electric cooktop about 18 months ago with a smooth ceramic one. Had trouble at the time finding a cooktop that would fit in the oversized hole. Eventually ended up with Kitchenaid that had a 1/4-3/8" overlap around all four sides. Yesterday it cracked all the way across the short edge after a timer dropped onto one corner. Question is: could the glass have had undue stress from the weight load on the small overlap, making the crack likely to happen again with the slightest drop? Was this a crack waiting to happen? We have to decide whether to replace the glass (about $300) or go back to an electric coil cooktop for about the same amount. Anyone have experience with this?

May have been, glass is funny that way. Stress or scratch it today, break it with just a touch a month later.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I can't tell you that but I *can* tell you that we have had a glass top Kitchen Aid gas cooktop hanging from the same 1/4"-3/8" overlap for ten years.
--

dadiOH
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Only 18 months? I'd be back at the store or on the phone getting a replacement. The squeaky wheel get the oil.
RayV wrote:

I'd take a look at what the install guide says the minumum support around the edges should be and I'll bet it's probably more than 1/4". Usually, the only problem with a hole too large is if the appliance going in can't cover it up for appearance purposes. If it covers it like here, then it's usually easy to install some additional support from below that will fill in the rest of the oversize hole to give the required support. That's what I would have done.