Converting cross slot sizes to Philips

I want to get some Phillips screwdrivers for very small screws.

Most suppliers quote something like this: "#0 and #00".

However others quote things like this: "7 Heads Phillips 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0".

How can I work out which is equivalent to which?

Reply to
Arras

Unless you are doing lots of work , I would just get something like this assortment from China off ebay for about 11 or 12 dollars shipped to you and not worry about the sizes. I bought a set a while back like it.

110936738959
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Bristol Phillips

Bristol Phillips:

Just for laughs..

The bathroom stalls in our store are held together with SECURITY TORX for cryin' out loud! And they're falling apart. Duhhh...

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Are you sure you want Phillips? They are not the same as pozi-drive which is possibly more common in UK use.

The head of a pozi "normally" has an x on the head rotated 45 degrees to the main driving faces.

The tip angle of the two standard are different and it becomes quite critical on the small sizes where the wrong screwdriver can easily wreck the head of the screw.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Not if you can't buy PoziDrv screws in the USA. As I think I have written here before, when I ask about PoziDrv screws and bits in the USA I am greeted by a blank stare -- although many of the imported sets of bits do in fact include PoziDrv (PZxx). The only PoziDrv screwdriver (as distinct from interchangeable bits) I own was made in the UK and bought while I was on vacation in New Zeeland.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Ooops! "New Zealand"

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

It's a continuous range of sizes, where the smaller ones have (presumably) been named after the main series: PH 1, 2, 3, 4 are the 'normal' woodscrew sizes but PH0, 00 and 000 are the smaller sizes that you find in things like laptops.

The smaller ones are normally found in kits such as :

(That's item number 12357 at Toolstation to illustrate, not as any kind of recommendation!).

If you have an application that's in the least demanding, you may well find a cheap set will become mangled on the first use, so it's worth looking around for some half-decent ones.

Reply to
GMM

Wrecking the screws makes you buy more screws. Sort of a Pozi scheme.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There was a recent post on the MegaSquirt forum (a basically US product) about the correct screwdriver for the small case end plate fixing screws. Which are pozi style (parallel sides) - and a pozi driver is a good fit. So I said to use a pozi number 1. Seems not even a decent tool supplier in the US knew about Pozi.

I've a feeling they may well be ISO or whatever - but pozi bits are a decent fit and Philips not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You won't find Pozidriv screws here, just Philips and Robertson (square) drive. For medium sizes (30-75mm) I've switched to the latter as they drive better with a drill.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Hope you can buy the drivers, though. All the electronic stuff I fix - made usually in the far east - use screws which are closer to Pozi than Philips. As do all the screws found round a computer. Including those with a US thread. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The screwdrivers are to open up gadgets (like a wireless doorbell) that are often made in China. Seems as if I need the JIS screwdrivers but they are almost impossible to get.

Perhaps a good-fitting well-made Philips screwdriver would work.

I looked at the Wera micro screwdriver range which have got nice big handles compared to jewellers screwdrivers. However they don't go smaller than PH-00.

Arras

I want to use the cross slot screwdrivers on electronic gadgets and I don't think they would have PoziDrv screws. So I think Phillips is perhaps the closest.

The sizes I want are sometimes called jeweller's screwdrivers.

Reply to
Arras

OK as long as you are aware of the difference and the potential for damage due to poor fit. Screws into plastic will not normally be that tight but small screws into metal in precision assemblies can be very tight and will need the correct driver. Jewellers screwdriver is a generic terms for small screwdrivers irrespective of the head type they are designed to work with, Pozi, phillips, flat, torx etc.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

try these

critcher

Arras posted for all of us...

Find a copier repair supply. They have them.

Reply to
Tekkie®

There's plenty on ebay, aliexpress and amazon.

Reply to
Rod Speed