convection oven wiring

I bought a convection oven (Bosch, 700 series), and the installation instructions say it need 15.8 amps (120/240V). Every book and documentation I researched are mentioning electrical ovens needing 40 or 50 Amps, so I am a little surprised, and would like to hear from anybody whether maybe newer ovens are drawing less electricity ? I was thinking going for a 30Amps breakers (I don't even think I can find find 20 Amps 2 poles breakers for my service panel).
thanks.
Fred.
I bought a convection oven (Bosch, 700 series), and the installation instructions say it need 15.8 amps (120/240V). Every book and documentation I researched are mentioning electrical ovens needing 40 or 50 Amps, so I am a little surprised, and would like to hear from anybody whether maybe newer ovens are drawing less electricity ? I was thinking going for a 30Amps breakers (I don't even think I can find find 20 Amps 2 poles breakers for my service panel).
thanks.
Fred.

oven, with no insulation, manages with less than that. FWIW, my 26 year old uses a 50a circuit for two ovens, so it is hard to see anything needing 50a for one, but maybe.
Why would you go for 30a if the device draws 15.8a? Use #10 by all means, but don't go with a bigger breaker than you need; unless happen to have one laying around.
I answered mainly to ask why you replied to yourself? Was it an accident, a problem with the server, or what?
fredinstl wrote:

Hi, 15.8 Amps at what voltage? At 120 or 240?

Double check the nameplate on the oven to confirm, but it is not unusual for convection ovens to require less power. Do not install a larger circuit breaker than is required for your unit. In this case a two pole 20 amp CB is sufficient. If you want to install a larger wire for possible future upgrades that would be okay, but stick with the proper circuit breaker and receptacle.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Convection ovens typically draw a lot less power than the traditional type, so this isn't much of a surprise. Rather than consulting books which provide general information, you need to go with the specific information provided by the manufacturer of your oven -- this would be true even if you were installing one of the big 40A or 50A units -- and that specific information seems to indicate a much lower amperage.

Not necessary -- and if the oven is cord-and-plug connected, instead of being permanently wired in, it's a violation of the electrical code, too. (A cord-and-plug connected 15.8 amp device certainly has a 20A plug on it. Code doesn't permit installing 20A receptacles on a 30A circuit.)

I bet you can. Have you checked? They're pretty common.
thanks everybody for your comments. to answer some of your questions, and summarize:
- I posted twice, because I inadvertently clicked twice :-(. sorry - I thought bigger was better, but didn't know.... I'll follow your advice, and get a 20 Amps breaker (my mistake, they do exist). - it's not a cord and plug oven, you need to do the connection - I'll check the price of the wire (#10 is really expensive...), see how much I save if I go with a #12.
thanks a lot ! I'm glad I asked.
Fred.
fredinstl wrote:

Hey, no problem. Happens a lot.

Bigger isn't always better. Sometimes it's worse (e.g. if you need a 20A receptacle, you can't use a 30A circuit). Usually, it's just unnecessary.

In that case, a 30A circuit is permitted by Code. But it's not necessary.

Lots -- which is a pretty good argument for going with the 20A breaker.

Good luck!
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Check your specs. The bosch website seems to list the 700 series ovens as follows
    Broiler Element Wattage      3500     Convection Element Wattage     2500     Bottom Element Wattage     3000     208-240V/60Hz, 4-Wire     Check mark     Amps     20
depending on what model you have.
So its a 240 V circuit you need , but only 20 amps