Construction costs

What are you guys seeing to construction costs in your part of the country? Are they coming down at all due to the lousy economy? I want to put an addition on the house am wondering if now is the time to pull the trigger on it.
I am in the northeast. Thanks.

If I were you, I would wait awhile as I believe the economy is in the process of a slow acting depression and eventually you will find that things are going to reach Grand Cayon size. Just a matter of time. Perhaps after the election.

Labor you might get a deal, but dont forget material prices will be going alot higher for a long time, 125 a barrel oil has to filter its way down the chain. Who knows, plan on utilites doubling as fast as they are allowed to raise prices, we may be in just the start of a crash. High energy will break alot of folks with real hurt only starting to impact everyone with electric rate and next winters NG price increases
Don't forget anything made outside of USA, or if the price is determined by an outside currency, it will cost more because the US dollar has lost 1/3 of its international value.
wrote:

Labor you might get a deal, but dont forget material prices will be going alot higher for a long time, 125 a barrel oil has to filter its way down the chain. Who knows, plan on utilites doubling as fast as they are allowed to raise prices, we may be in just the start of a crash. High energy will break alot of folks with real hurt only starting to impact everyone with electric rate and next winters NG price increases
"EXT" wrote

Agreed. I am spending my 'tax rebate' check and refund on the economy by employing laborers and getting a USA made sunroom addition. Energystar too. Labor just now is a good deal as construction has slowed.

Has to??? Have you bought anything lately that has trucks involved in delivery to consumers...namely anything? $4.20 a gal for deisel in NC.

I just got my renewal home insurance statement. It is up 15% from one year ago. The letter "justified" the increase due to cost of materials. I guess my $200K home would cost $230 to rebuild it, and then it would still be a $200 house. Insurance companies... the necessary evil!

Labor is not any cheaper, but it is more available and you can get the best of the trades. Material cost have been rising and I doubt they will be any lower than right now. Being in cold country, I'd build with ICF's (insulating concrete forms) to keep heating costs down now and for the life of the house.

if the addition is to store more collected clutter, there may be an easy "no" in your future.

Pull the trigger http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/10/real_estate/build_home.moneymag/?postversion 08031218
Wood is at a low price, so build, build, build!
Also with the dollar declining in value and many products like tools being imported, I figure I should buy now before prices go higher.
So I have all sorts of remodeling projects going which I recently started.