Connection to cable constantly lost

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:08:03 -0600, "MaryL"

What was wrong with:
"Do you know any 12-year old males?"
Reading your posts is like learning Japanese Arithmetic. Please format properly with a quote and then your reply.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Forget it. She'll go to hell with a broken back before she'll unplug the surge suppressors.

Why don't you read some of my messages? THAT HAS BEEN DONE MANY TIMES, AND THE SUPPRESSORS HAVE EVEN BEEN CHANGED FOR NEW ONES (WHICH CERTAINLY REQUIRED "UNPLUGGING"). Just how many times do you think I need to do that? I have to crawl under a large, very heavy desk just to get to the outlet.
Please feel free not to offer any more suggestions.
MaryL

MaryL - the cable guy even told you to disconnect those protectors. Your best hope for a solution here tells you to never reconnect those protectors. How many others also tell you to remove those protectors? If you don't want the problem solved, then reconnect those protectors and stop venting here. The problem is not those offering help. You keep making a solution impossible by 'knowing' otherwise. If you want a solution, then remove those protectors and never connect them again. Protectors also complicate any solution. If you don't like what so many have recommended, then do not ask for help in any newsgroup.
How many computers have you built by hand by literally soldering wires to the semiconductors? I have. My knowledged and experience is that significant. So many others - even the cable guy - say to remove those protectors. Those protectors even make it hard to find a problem if even located elsewhere.
Do you want help or are you only venting? Never climb back under that heavy desk. Never reconnect those protectors until long after the problem is solved. Or bettter - never reconnect them. Now. Which one of us has greater technical knowledge? Your choice. If you are so technically knowledgeable, then reconnect those protectors - that do not even claim to do what you bought them for.

MaryL - the cable guy even told you to disconnect those protectors.
Actually, he did not. He did not even mention it until I asked him about quality of surge protectors. Then he said that the cable company actually preferred that we not use any but just sort of "shrugged" when I asked why and said they are ineffective. He did not say they cause damage or problems.
Your best hope for a solution here tells you to never reconnect those protectors. How many others also tell you to remove those protectors?
What about power strips (although some of those also seem to have surge protectors)? As I said in response to your other message, I would have to have at least a power strip because there are too many plugs for the outlets.
If you don't want the problem solved, then reconnect those protectors and stop venting here. The problem is not those offering help. You keep making a solution impossible by 'knowing' otherwise. If you want a solution, then remove those protectors and never connect them again. Protectors also complicate any solution. If you don't like what so many have recommended, then do not ask for help in any newsgroup.
How many computers have you built by hand by literally soldering wires to the semiconductors? I have. My knowledged and experience is that significant. So many others - even the cable guy - say to remove those protectors. Those protectors even make it hard to find a problem if even located elsewhere.
NO, he did not say to remove them.
Do you want help or are you only venting? Never climb back under that heavy desk. Never reconnect those protectors until long after the problem is solved. Or bettter - never reconnect them. Now. Which one of us has greater technical knowledge? Your choice. If you are so technically knowledgeable, then reconnect those protectors - that do not even claim to do what you bought them for.

Yes they are ineffective. Also can degrade cable signals, cause intermittent dropouts, and complicate a solution. Therefore the tech is told what the company recommends - don't use them and remove them.
Get a $3 power strip. It should only have one thing necessary for human safety - a 15 amp circuit breaker.
It is an intermittent. Therefore one analysis is to remove everything - break the problem down into parts - so that the problem is not seen. That means testing for no intermittent failures for days. If the intermittent never happens, what (in detail) connects to what. That means even what cables connect to, what does everything share for power, and what is happening on the TV. Of course, you are using three prong power connections - no three prong to two prong converters.
What is connected when failure happens. That does not say anything else is good. But first we must find the defect - long before even considering a solution. I am still only assuming the Linksys router connected to some kind of cable box. It was not specifically stated so I had to make an assumption.
Another tact. Not provided is a list of channels that do and do not work on the TV. Another possible fact that helps ID the problem.
Another useful test - have two computers pinging each other constantly through the router. Then see what happens to that pinging when the intermittent failure occurs. What does work when another failure happens. Again, not a solution. But we are way too far away for a solution. First ID the problem.
Another important inspection - is the cable earthed by the same electrode that earths AC electric.
Another useful fact - those baseband numbers that mean nothing to you and little to the tech may mean everything out here.
Does Eurora only fail or does another Window accessing a web site also fail? Even better, does a constant piing to cox also fail? ping -t www.cox.com Does that pining continue when Eudora locks? Again, both Windows must be open (even if minimized) simultaneously.

Cable company says (recommends) to not use them. He also said (in indirect terms) that he did not know why. Well, he is only a cable tech. He only does what he is told to do; rarely knows why. Why do power strips degrade signals? Because inside components have capacitance - act like low pass filters that eat cable signals. He does not know this. He only knows the company recommends not using them which means remove them; especially when having troubles.
Mary - for what it's worth - when you respond to google groups postings, you need to type something to make your response differentiated from the posting. It's really hard to figure out what you've posted and what you are reaponding to.
I've never figured out why google group postings fail to be properly marked when I respond to them.

Thanks. Most messages are marked (as yours are here), and I did not understand why a few did not include those markers (usually marked with >). Now I understand: watch for google group postings, and maybe some others.
MaryL
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Now I recall why this line of disputation is familiar. My ex-wife (the meanest woman in Texas - and Texas is mighty big) had a sister named "Mary."
I'm beginning to believe...

buffalo ny: buy (on a returnable basis) your own linksys cablemodem of the same brand as your linksys router. this solved my connectivity erratic problems that my cable company could not fix. my june 2008 problems began when they were "upgrading" their system. swapping out their rental cablemodems four times to all their available models of motorola surfboard and rca and rca wireless did not fix the problem. [and replacing my own perfectly fine linksys router first did not help either.] problem was solved immediately after 3 months of connectivity intermittent hourly problems, when a friend loaned me his linksys cablemodem and it worked flawlessly. i purchased it from him and my problems never returned. -b
MaryL wrote:

I suppose you have been all over websites to address the problem, but here are a couple of things. One page has a table for features, and mentions Linksys G not compatible with crowded residential complexes with lots of wireless networks:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid 16519870339&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lidp33991160L02
FAQ's and stuff: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid 16519871597&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lidq59770339L08

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid 16519870339&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lidp33991160L02
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid 16519871597&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lidq59770339L08
Thank you. MaryL

It's been a long time since I've seen such a whacko thread and an OP that apparently is clueless. Some key points:
You think point of use surge protectors have something to do with it, so why the hell not just remove them all. If the problem still continues, it's not them. No need to speculate on surge protectors, what the tech said about surge protectors, what anyone here thinks about them etc. End of story. And I'll bet surge protectors have nothing to do with the problem.
Get rid of wireless everything and the router and go to a simple system. One pc connected to a cable modem. Does the problem still exist? If it does, then it's not the router, nothing to do with wireless, etc.
I asked in my first post what the freaking lights on the freaking cable modem do when you have the connection loss. If the online, receive, transmit, lights go out, then come back on one at a time, it's a freaking cable modem or cable problem. The freakin cable modem has a freakin log of errors which will show when it lost connection rebooted, etc. Any tech with half a brain can read it remotely and you can read it yourself if you spend an hour googling and/or reading the manual and learning how the freakin modem works.
I guess I'm like HehBub, I've just lost my patience.
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:58:29 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

He had a reason; being married, to the meanest women in Texas.!!
Oren wrote:

I NEVER lost my patience with my ex-wife! I was always kind, considerate, and ever so understanding.
After she told me I had to sleep eventually.
She finally left me. Ran off with a skinny dance instructor with shiny, pointy-toed shoes and a pencil-thin mustache. Last I heard, they were trying to make a go of a Clown College in Beaumont.
I, on the other hand, prospered throughout our estrangement. Since women fight with "words" (except for the occasional baseball bat in the dark of a moonless and dreary night), I decided to equip myself with the tools of the wordsmith. Since I mastered the language, it's no longer "(grunt)" or "Yes, dear." It's more along the lines of "I'll give your suggestion all the attention it deserves." (This is after I hook 'em with statements like: "Good lord, woman, you're not beautiful, you're an Audrey Hepburn movie" or "The best thing in life to hold onto is each other" or "I was born with a terrible need to give affection.")
I don't think this is the reason I've remained single...

The surge protectors the tech referred to could be lightning arrestors that are in line on the cable. Quite often I'm confronted with people who don't know the correct terminology when talking about a piece of equipment. A surge suppressor or lightning arrestor or protector could interfere with the "T" channels used for cable Internet. A kink in the cable can kill some parts of the frequency band. We had to have about 70 feet of coax replaced at our office because the Internet was down but the TV worked. A protector in line with the cable could unintentionally act as a high pass or band pass filter blocking the frequencies used by a cable modem.
TDD