Temporary closing PVC drains

I'm building a bathroom wall and need to install a new PVC double san-T (2") in the vent stack before installing the wall studs. What do plumbers use to temporarily close off the open pipes for a day or two? I heard a wet rag will work to slow sewer gases, but I may need something better yet not permanent. TIA

Reply to
Phisherman

I would think that an expanding rubber plug should work well, try a boat store like West Marine if you can't find one at your local hardware emporium.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Also you ought to find a rubber cap that tightens with a hose clamp, like a Fernco with the end closed off.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Go to a plumbing supply. They sell expanding plugs for that purpose.

Reply to
John Grabowski

On a new clean fitting and ring, we always just used a couple layers of duct tape. This wasn't just for the smell, it was to keep debris from falling down there. It's not a pressurized system, so you don't need much of a seal. It should work on an open T in the wall as well, since liquids won't be hitting it even if there is another drain upstairs.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Duct tape or a rag is all that is needed. If one wants a better looking, just a plain end cap slipped on without gluing does it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

rubber glove and a rubberband?

Reply to
buffalobill

Plastic bag and a rubber band works for me.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

rubber glove and a rubberband?

Reply to