Confused

Page 1 of 3

Ok, one acre is 43560 square feet so , if a perfect square, one dimension should be half that? So the lot should be 21780 deep. So that should be about 2/10ths of a mile deep? How deep is a 113 acre lot that is a perfect square?

That would be a great question to ask in Alt.math newsgroup...they are very helpful for that kind of thing...had my entire sq footage caluclated for spring fertilizer etc...try there
LSMFT wrote:

Hardly. It's square root of that or 208.7... ft.

W/O doing the arithmetic, 160 A is a quarter section or 1/2 mi sq. for a rough idea.
Ratio square roots of areas for distances...
LSMFT wrote:

That's wrong. If one square acre is 208.7 on side, that's half of a 10th of a mile since one tenth is 528 feet. So 113 acres should be 23,583.1 on a side or 44 tenths? that 4 miles, I don't think so. Is it?
LSMFT wrote:

I've no clue how you're trying to do arithmetic but it ain't comin' close.
Couple of ways...
Sq rt(43560 * 113) = 2218.6... ft
2640 (1/2-mi) * sq rt(113/160) = 2218.6... ft
2218.6/2640 ~0.84 so is, as noted early, short of the half-mile.
First from area (ft-sq)/A; second from previous ratio of sq-rts of acreage compared to known side distance.
Fundamentally, A = L x W if L = W then A = L^2 --> L = sqrt(A)

Sigh. This is a simple problem. Ignoring all the miles and other nonsense, what we have is a lot that is square and 113 acres. The answer is sqrt(113 X 43560) or 2219 feet is the length of each side.
On 3/1/2010 5:29 PM, LSMFT wrote:

You're not just confused, you're stupid ;)

area is measure by length times width, which is where you're mistaken a perfectly square acre is 208.71 feet in length on all four sides. 113 acres perfectally square would be 2,218.62 feet on all sides. This is about 2/5 of a mile on each side.
A perfect square a mile long on all four sides equals 640 acres.
Robin
rlz wrote:

Or about 4 tenths on the odometer or 1/10th less than half a mile. Ok, that sounds about right.
LSMFT wrote: ...

Which is what I told you before if compare to a quarter-section... :) (or :(, not sure which...)
And, of course, 1A = 1 rod by 1/2-mile is the way we laid out fields years ago....Now, simply punch in coordinates on the GPS system in the tractor cab and stop when says "done". :)
dpb wrote:

My GPS don't work in the woods. Can't get enough satellites unless there is a clearing and the clearing is not where I usually want to be.
LSMFT wrote:

Telescopic fiberglass window washing pole. Put GPS on pole and send up high enough to receive satellites for a few minutes to get position, then lower to read and record position.
LSMFT wrote:

We don't farm in the woods much...not that there are any "woods" here, anyway.

You need lower satellites, Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco.

actually, it's .434421974 miles, but 4 tenths is close enough. That is arrived by dividing 2293.748025 by 5280.
.03 mi off is a distance of 158.4 feet.
Steve

No, it's not. 2218.62 feet is 0.420193 miles.

Which explains how you got the wrong answer: you started with the wrong numbers.

So what? It's not 0.03 miles off, it's 0.02.

assuming these number sare correct
sqrt(43560 * 113)
Jimmie

No. One dimension would be the square root of that, or 208.7 feet.

21780 feet is about four miles, not 0.2 miles. A lot 21780 feet by 21780 feet is almost eleven thousand acres.

sqrt(113 * 43560) = 2218.6 feet

Damn. Did it right the first time.
Steve
2,218.621193' square.