Concrete for setting 4 ft chain link fence post

Anyone have experience with the new type concrete mix you pour in post hole dry, then add water? Results? I have one post to reset which the walk through gate attaches to. Not having to premix would be nice if it works. No need for mixing container Thanks Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

I just use redimix bags and do that. I have never heard of a new type of concrete for this. I have been doing that for about 20 years.

Reply to
Robert Allison

You're probably looking at quick-setting concrete. No where near new, just ask for it at your local outlet. Or use a standard concrete mix for the same thing, you'll need to brace the posts though.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

I did that for our mailbox post at work. Nothing special about the concrete. I just dumped it in the hole, added water, and mixed it in the hole. If for some reason you do not add enough water, rainwater will harden it.

Note that a hole for a fencepost should go below the frostline if you want fenceposts to remain vertical (instead of pitched every which way from frost heaving).

From the looks of the foundation on my 90+ year old home, they just dug a trench, poured concrete in the trench, dug out the basement and built up from there with cement block. Not sure if they mixed the concrete in the trench. But bottom half of basement wall (below grade) is rough and irregular.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Thanks guys.. I guess I've been doing it the hard way all along (well, what few times I needed to use concrete) I'll be planting it back to the depth it was (about 2 foot) Around here the frost line is probably 5 inches or less.. . thank goodness... don't like the cold Chuck

Reply to
Chuck