Complexity of dyes in kitchen cabinets

Page 2 of 5
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

----------------------------- Welcome to the real world.
Change orders are a fact of life.
Change orders cost money.
Change orders enhance the contractor's bottom line, if the contractor is running the business correctly.
Lew

How long do you suppose it would take (in actual hours) to "administer" one more ceiling fan into the equation? We're not talking about doing the actual installation. We're talking about paperwork.
So, how long?
Contractors do not charge for paperwork directly. That point would be moot.
When I spec'd a home with a builder I demanded plywood subflooring and stated I would pay the cost. He told me some outrageous figure that was about twice what I would pay for just the plywood without any rebates or compensation for the OSB board not used.
I agreed to pay it and then was told,
"We don't build that way, anyway. Go elsewhere, is you want that". I did.
As Lew stated, this is where the contractors make their money...not on competitive specs. Hurts, but when you do it, you will too.

I have no trouble believing that someone told you to go away even after you agreed to pay what they asked.
..and that is OK in your book?
To each his own but for the inconvenience of doing it differently (for you)... priceless.
I disagree with Lew, that if your total margins are going to be expected to come from your extras, you're doing it wrong. Extras are an inconvenience and shouldn't cost a builder money (including his normal margins)..... but as a profit centre I think it is wrong.
Now if a client's changes become such that it starts to infringe upon the availability of the shop space and manpower to move onto the next project, hit them hard with 'discouragement fees'.
"should" being the key word there.
You are too nice to your customers. You still want business later...LOL
To elaborate on my comment to Lew...... A quote should already include a percentage for contingencies. A stain change.... a reputation is worth more than those few bucks you can maybe squeeze out of client. Industrial business is a different story.
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

--------- $750 for your contractor.
Since I would have to acquaint myself with the job, I'd want $2K as an inspection fee, then could give you an educated guess, but $750 seems a little light, especially since I detest paperwork.
Lew

Sounds to me like the homeowner should ask that all ceiling light boxes be installed with whatever bracing is needed JUST IN CASE a fan is added later.
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

----------------------- What about the electrical service feeding the fans?
Lew

Use ceiling scissors to cut a path for the wires later? <g>
Might as well run some cat5 for special effects lighting later.
On 11/1/2010 12:37 PM, Robatoy wrote:

"Shears", Rob! ferrcrisssakes, you can't charge enough for "scissors"!!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Admittedly, I've been assuming that before he added another ceiling fan, there was already a plan place for a box in that same position, to service a light. In this case, the wiring would be the same. If not, then the $350 charge makes some sense.
On 11/01/10 1:42 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Also had all lighting/fans been purchased? The guy needs to return an existing fixture and pick up a fan, that costs money, in addition to paperwork, time for the client to pick out the fan they want assuming they aren't all the same or worst case a special order style. Too many questions.
--
Froz...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

The wiring would not be the same.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Depends on the fan. I installed a Casablanca fan using existing wiring, as per the instructions. 3 wires. Nothing unusual.
On 11/01/10 4:07 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Does code specify red/black/white+ground to ceiling fixtures? It will change if it is a fan or a fan/light combo.
--
Froz...

On 11/1/10 3:07 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

You can "depends" the crap out of this hypothetical until you're satisfied that someone is ripping off someone else. Bottom line: all things considered, $350 for the change isn't unreasonable at all.
--

-MIKE-

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Sure they could, but that would be outside of the scope of this discussion. That would be a wiring spec.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Then you are talking some where under $175 per light box. The extra ceiling fans include bracing and additional wiring for the fan and light to run separately.

You're talking about materials. The OP was talking about ADMINISTRATIVE FEES.