Experience with Boair 5-stage electrostatic filters?

I'm looking for an upgrade to the pathetically minimal filters that came with my American Standard gas furnace.

I like the idea of electostatic because:

- They are reusable with simple washing

- They have a very good tradeoff of high efficiency with minimal airflow restriction

The Boair seems to get good reviews but is at the high end of the price scale (~$70/filter) for electrostatic filters.

- Has anybody had good/bad experiences with them?

- Are they worth the price or is the 5-stage terminology just hype?

- Alternatively, any other brands to recommend?

Reply to
blueman

Bought my first *$150!* Boair nearly 20 years ago on the recommendation of a Dr. A decade later I bought another 'electrostatic' filter for a lot less-- but it just didn't work as well as the Boair.

Then last year I replaced the furnace & needed a new filter- went searching for reviews and decided on the Boair again. I got 2 because I like to be able to just change filters- and throw the old one in the sink to soak- then dry thoroughly.

I think they are worth it. The amount of stuff on the Boair was always greater than the generic filter I had. [changed every 50 hours of run time] It was also made much better-- and the ones I bought last year were identical tot he one I bought 20 yrs ago.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht