come-along

Page 3 of 3
Hatunen wrote:

That akes sense now that I think about it...
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Also, because of the inertia of the fast moving tow vehicle, the elastic tow rope can exert a pull greater than the tow vehicle can exert from a standstill. A non-elastic tow rope can do the same thing if the vehicles can stand the shock but the elastic works much better.
Don Young

Maybe it was just what he had?
Auto parts stores often have something known generically as a "recovery strap." Usually it's a flat woven belt but some light duty ones are braided round ropes, like a water ski tow rope for Paul Bunyan. I wouldn't think that a bungee, capable of ~ 3x stretch, would be my first choice. Definitely they have some "give" for just the reasons you mentioned, though, and also so that spring action can give you a little more oomph. (Presumably to pull the stuck vehicle forward, not to pull the tow vehicle back!) Some websites seem to indicate that 20% stretch is about it.
Here are some examples and instructions: http://www.keepercorp.com/prod/vrs1.htm See also, for instance, http://asa4wdc.org/content/safety/recovery.html
How does that old saying go -- four-wheel-drive lets you get a lot further from help before you get stuck?
--Joe
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:47:21 -0700 (PDT), Ad absurdum per aspera

Yeah, that's another reason I would be scared to use one. I've seen too many cartoons, and I know what is likely to happen. Kazoom!!

Well, it looks good, but clearly they haven't seen enough cartoons.

LOL. Absolutely. I've driven up some very rocky roads in my 67 full-size Pontiac Catalina (made when there were no compact cars, and a rented Fiat Panda.
But if two wheels can spin in the mud, so can four. Some people don't seem to understand that.