Collapsable ladders

I was at Target this weekend and they have this 12' tall collapsing ladder by the brand "UP-UP". Very light and easy to carry. I extended about 6 feet of it leaned it against a shelf and stepped on the first rung trying to get a feel how sturdy it is and a store clerk came running to me and asked me to step down as "it's not safe".

So there is no easy way to test out this ladder. It is easy to carry which is a big plus and takes up hardly any space.

It's priced at $99.99 (or so I thought) but searching on Target's website it's priced at $199.99...so it could be the price on the shelf was mislabeled...I am not sure.

Anyone has any experience (good or bad) on these collapsable aluminum ladders?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

I have one similar to what you describe,but not that brand. I don't remember what brand it actually is. It has four sections, each about 3'. It can be opened to make a 6' step ladder or extended all the way to a

12'. I've only used it a couple of times (actually turned out to be just a little short for where I had intended to use it), but it seems to be satifactory. FWIW, I weigh about 145 lb, so I don't need a real heavy duty. I got mine at a pawn shop (looked nearly new) for I think about $80. Personanlly, I wouldn't give $200 for one, Shop around! Larry
Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

I know the kind you are talking about. The one I am referring to is not the same. Yours can be configured into different types, the one I am referring to you can collapse each rung individually, here is a pic of one:

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Wow! Never even seen one like that before. If no one else jumps in with any experience with one then it looks like you get to be the "field tester". If you do get one, or a chance to try one better before you buy, let us know what you think. Thanks Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

No, but I have had experience with store clerks telling me how to run my life. They usually say "You can't smoke here!"

Simply tell them: "It's okay. I'm French," and they'll go away.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have a 15' Extend and Climb brand. It is a little on the heavy side, but very solid and sturdy. One thing is that you can't lean the vertical tubes against anything as they could deform and screw up the collapse function. You must lean a rung against a surface. Telesteps is another brand which is cheaper. Take a look on Ebay.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Friend of mine has something like that. We used it to climb into the attic hatch of his house, and spread some insulation. I wasn't sure it would work, but it did the job. I'm well over 200 pounds weight, so I was probably outside the weight capacity of the device.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've been considering buying one to use for HVAC work, but havn't gotten one, yet. The one time I got to use it, it was as stable and as sturdy as a regular ladder. Nice, that it gives you adjustable length.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

MC,

I have seen a lot of home inspectoers using this type of ladder. I asked a few how they liked it and they were very happy with them. Im not sure what brand they have. Remember you can buy the Target ladder and return it if you don't like it. If you stand on the ladder for extended periods make sure the rungs are wide enough to be comfortable on your feet.

cm

Reply to
cm

Take a look at Little Giant ladders. I have a number of ladders, but find that the Model 17 Little Giant is the most sturdy, and I believe safest of the lot.

Boden

I got one for stairs. I think it is the model 26. It is very sturdy. Too heavy for everyday use though.

Reply to
John Grabowski

The pricing is likely because Target is dumping this particular item.

A couple of years ago I bought several similar ladders from Target for

75% off.

They won't last long at $99.

They serve their purpose well.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

I have one like that I bought at Costco. Weighs a ton. Comes in handy when you need a versatile ladder.

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

I've tried various types including a folding ladder, but my favorite is an aluminum 16' extension ladder (2 8' sections). Very light and handy as long as you have something to lean it against.

nick hull

My fave, too, and very versatile! Mine I got from my father, who must have bought it at a yard sale as it has someone else's name on it. I use that thing frequently, but I also am happy I have my 32 ft. extension ladder for the upper regions of the house.

Reply to
KLS

My limited experience with them tells me they come in two flavors. One is a little less sturdy than standard and a little heavier. The other is more sturdy than standard ladders, and a lot heavier. If you don't need the other features (folding, odd configurations etc.) then stick with standard designs.

Reply to
jmeehan

One thing I noticed when I lived in Europe for a few years is that all the stepladders were made with steps on both sides. Not like American ladders where you could only climb one side.

I'm not sure if they did that to simplify manufacturing or for convenience in use, but I like it a lot. You never had to swing a ladder around because the screws were on the other side, you could get two people changing one lightbulb, etc.

Do they make any US stepladders like that?

Reply to
TimR

TimR wrote in :

They're out there; you just have to pay more. Steps cost a lot more that flimsy spacers. ;-)

Reply to
SteveBell

Yes, they do, but they are not the norm. There's one that bends to all sorts of combinations that I would like to get. But just for the common ladder, I agree with you that making them with steps only on one side is dumb. PLUS, the other side of the ladder is much weaker and lighter and flimsier.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB