Coleman Powermate

Three years ago I bought a Colemane Powermate (ProGen 5000) I unboxed it Saturday evening plugged in some freezers and it worked fine for over an hour. Then it stopped producing current. The circuit breakers did not trip. The engine runs fine. The only procedure in the manual is about remagnetizing the unit. It doesn't seem to me that it would lose magnitism while it is producing power. Anybody have a clue? Thanks, Mike BTW, Coleman powermate is closed, employees laidoff, bankrupcy and lawsuits are filed.
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:44:51 -0500, amdx wrote:

Jump on the lawsuit bandwagon unless you can find someone to repair it. Just for the hell of it did your try the re-magnetizing thingy?
Meat Plow wrote:

With it being stored that long, I'd take a look at the brushes. A little corrosion or insect activity could cause a brush to be stuck in the holder and loose contact after a couple hundred k revs.

Box was clean and dry, no sign of any insects or corrosion, but I'll check the brushes.

No, I haven't tried re-magnetizing, yet.

Ok, I went out and checked connections, looked good. I got out a 12v power supply and connected it per the manual to remagnetize the unit. I heard the motor drag down, plugged in a light and it is producing power. With a small 50 watt load the output voltage is only 104 Volts. I came in wrote the post, then decided to try a bigger load. The unit had lost its magnetism. I remagnitized it and connected an 1800 watt load and the output voltage is only 94 volts. Doesn't seem good! Mike

Its probably something that was defective and would have shown up 3 years ago after 1 hr, I also thought remagnatising was done only if no power was produced. All you can do is run it and trace the power flow, or you might open the panel and smell something bad. alt.energy.homepower has alot of genheads visiting that know equipment.

Thanks for the tip on alt.energy.homepower. Mike