Coasting in neutral doesn't save gas

Page 4 of 4

HeyBub wrote:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/coasting-in-neutral-fuel-economy?click=pm_news
Shut the engine off at the same time to save even more. If you are going in a straight line the lack of power steering and brakes shouldn't bother you.
--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty

He says "When coasting in neutral, the engine is idling, consuming just as much gasoline as when it's idling at a traffic light or warming up in your driveway, roughly gallons per hour (gph), "
But he NEVER got around to filling in the number of gph used during idling. However if it is the same in all three cases, it doesn't matter what the number is.
What's clear is that applying the brakes means you have wasted gas.
For example, you have sped up not enough to get through the light when it's green, and more than you needed to get there when it was red. So you have to apply the brakes.
Or you have to turn at the corner, and you have to apply your brakes to do so without skidding. If you wanted to save gas, you'd slow down far enough in advance that you didn't need your brakes for a 90 degree turn.
I had a girlfriend who lived near 65th and California in SW Chicago, when I lived near 57th and Woodlawn. I had many stop lights and a minumum of 5 turns to make to get home from her house. I tried to do it without using the brakes. It was usually late at night with very little traffic. It took me about 7 tries, but eventually I made it all t
mm wrote:

Did it EVER occur to you that you could have saved a ton of gas and a lot of mental aggravation, computations, and honing your driving skills by simply staying at your girlfriend's house?
Geeze! Why do I have to think of everything!

I don't think her mother would have liked that.
Wait a second. I'd still have to go home eventually. I had things to do there.

Maybe.
mm wrote:

At your age then, and flush with the vigor of youth, perhaps you could have provided mom with sufficient incentive...
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/coasting-in-neutral-fuel-economy?click=pm_news
What droppings, it is an ignorant journalist that will help the difficult of mind waste money and Eff-ing help to mess up the environment.
Could we have a clause to include them in The Season where folk go out with Large Guns?

#1 Huh?
#2 Where I am, folks ALWAYS go out with Large Guns.

Where in this article does the author consider engine braking lowering the speed of the vehicle? Thus increasing the need for gas because of more frequent and longer acceleration.
Using neutral delays and reduces the need for acceleration and thus increases gas mileage.
This article is a good example for not believing everything you read.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

In the case of my SUV I can shift into "M" - manual and either choose to use a gear that has engine braking, maintain the speed, or even gain speed depending on the the incline.
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/coasting-in-neutral-fuel-economy?click=pm_news
OK a different question. If stopped at a red light, does it save fuel to take the vehicle out of gear? Taking it out of gear raises the RPM's, in gear it has a load on it.
Personally, at a light I will take it out of gear if the A/C in running.