Clothes Dryer Not Heating Up After Running All Night

Last night, the timer stopped working on our clothes dryer and it ran all night. Now it is not heating up when it runs. I have never repaired a clothes dryer; but, would like to give it a shot before calling a repair man. What should I check in diagnosing this problem? Any best guesses on what the problem is would help.
: Last night, the timer stopped working on our clothes dryer and it ran : all night. Now it is not heating up when it runs. I have never : repaired a clothes dryer; but, would like to give it a shot before : calling a repair man. What should I check in diagnosing this problem? : Any best guesses on what the problem is would help.
Gas or Electric?
M. Todd Matthews wrote:

Electric dryer, I presume? The thermal fuse. The dryer should have a wiring diagram on the back or under the top panel.
Bob

Hi,
Electric...from the FAQ sections...
Q - My electric dryer runs but will not heat, what could stop my dryer from heating ?
A - Things that could stop a electric dryer from heating:
- house fuse or breaker... - heating element ... - burnt wire ... - thermostats ... thermal fuse ( not all models )... - motor heat switch ... - timer ... - selector switch ... - burnt power cord/plug ...
A ohm meter test for these parts is here... http://www.applianceaid.com/test_with_ohmmeter.html
From gas sections...
Q - My gas dryer will not heat, what could stop my dryer from heating ?
A - Things that could stop a gas dryer from heating:
- glow bar igniter ... - thermal fuse ( not all models ) ... - coil on the gas valve ... - gas valve ... - thermostats ... - motor heat switch ... - timer ... - selector switch ... - sensor ...
A page for checking gas dryers is here... http://www.applianceaid.com/gas_dryer.html
Many timer cycles ( like auto ) will not advance/move without the heat working.
jeff.